Mash Tun help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redspy

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have a 56 quart coleman cooler that I wanted to turn into a mash tun, since I already owned it. The problem is it has wheels in the back, and the drainage hole is at an angle between the wheels. My question is, Is there a way to make a manifold for it or should I just get another cooler. I'd rather not but if I have to, what choice do I have? The only way I can figure to do it is with pvc and give the manifold itself a bit of a platform to sit on to try and make it level with the drainage hole. Would this even work? I tend to think not. And it would leave a lot of good sugars in the half inch or so around the bottom of the cooler I would think. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

images.jpg

I have an ice cube cooler that I inadvertantly drilled the drainage hole too high. I used a 45 degree copper angle and the suction during draining draws it down just fine. Also remember that most people sparge, so what little wort is left after draining doesn't affect efficiency hardly at all.

No problem. Here are a couple pictures of my manifold. It draws down to the cut lines.

Manifold 1.JPG

manifold 2.JPG

Awesome. That is almost exactly how mine turned out. I was debating whether or not to put another section of pipe down the middle or not. haven't cut the slits yet, but here it is thus far.

2012-12-08_19-31-01_360.jpg

Ok. Would 3/4 washing machine hose work for me? Is there any health problems related to using one of those? I see a lot of youtube videos with people using it.

Ok. Would 3/4 washing machine hose work for me? Is there any health problems related to using one of those? I see a lot of youtube videos with people using it.

As long as you are using just the outer stainless steel mesh and not the hose itself, I doubt there will be any problems. After all we all use SS for just about everything.

Back