The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Mash Lauter Tun from Coleman Xtreme 70 Quart Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 815 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 109

have only used it once, 2nd time will be this Saturday, but it worked dandy for me

at HD, Rectorseal EP-200 2 oz. Epoxy Putty Stick

up to 500° and 1200 psi, I'd say our application is within tolerance

didn't use a whole lot of it. only enough to seal off the bulkhead around the hole, not enough to make a tighter fit for the nipple

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien
Thanks - hope it works out for you!
Have you used it yet? I was wondering what kind of efficiency you got. You will love the cooler. All of my mashes stayed the same temp or lost 1 degree.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIW126 View Post
Is there some trick I'm missing. I'm having a hell of a time getting the 2 T's filed out enough so they will slide over the tube. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe two short pieces fit into the T, one from each side, and not one piece sliding through the T. I am confused on why you are trying to file the T to allow one piece to slide through it???

Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I believe two short pieces fit into the T, one from each side, and not one piece sliding through the T. I am confused on why you are trying to file the T to allow one piece to slide through it???
You can do it that way too. It's a few more bits to assemble. Also there is more measuring:

1. The cuts on each side have to be equal.
2. The cuts on each side must match the length of the central tube that connects to the drain.

If you do it this way, make the central tube that connects to the drain first. It enters the drain connection at a slight angle and will be a difficult fit if it's too short.

@phuff haven't used it yet, I am waiting for a bulk delivery of base malt

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How many of you have just used a long Stainless-Steel Braided Line instead? That's what I use in my 5 gallon Igloo Cooler, does that work well in the 52 and 70 quart XTreme coolers?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
How many of you have just used a long Stainless-Steel Braided Line instead? That's what I use in my 5 gallon Igloo Cooler, does that work well in the 52 and 70 quart XTreme coolers?
I use this one:

http://www.brewhardware.com/false-bo...ers/139-screen

It fits nicely in the drain channel in the 77 quart extreme. I'm still learning my temps and mashing techniques but getting average 77% efficiency batch spargeing (range 69% - 83% over 7 batches so far).

Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #27
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 61

For batch sparging I'd have no hesitation in going with a stainless braid.

It's always going to work out cheaper than 10' of copper pipe and a dozen fittings. And no sawing slots.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table
sbrann Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
lakedawgs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I batch sparge with this cooler using a SS braid. Have used it 4-5 times and love it. Last 3 batches have be 74-77%, but have been pretty big beers, 7.5+%.

I did have problems with my first couple of batches getting stuck mashes pretty quickly. Denny suggested that I barely crack the valve while vorlaufing and after a minute or so open till I get full flow, which is about 3/4. Been great since.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedawgs View Post
I batch sparge with this cooler using a SS braid. Have used it 4-5 times and love it. Last 3 batches have be 74-77%, but have been pretty big beers, 7.5+%.

I did have problems with my first couple of batches getting stuck mashes pretty quickly. Denny suggested that I barely crack the valve while vorlaufing and after a minute or so open till I get full flow, which is about 3/4. Been great since.
Yep, I belive it was Yooper that told me, vorlauf a couple of times slowly, then open it up, and let it rip

Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #30
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I also have this cooler with a ss braid and batch sparge. It's a good cooler for batch sparging but I don't think it's a good design for fly sparging. It's very long and I expect you will get a lot of flow near the drain and no flow at the far end. With the fly sparge it's important to have even flow through the grains so they all get rinsed equally. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply