LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #61
Figbash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Safety note

Great job on the etching!

A safety note for all you would be etchers: The etching creme used by the OP contains fluoric acid. This is extremely nasty stuff and MUST be used with proper protection, namely gloves and eye protection. The stuff is readily absorbed through the skin and can cause severe burns long after exposure. Here is the MSDS sheet.

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #62
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did my marks a little different, mine was a 5gal carboy. the etching ends at the 6gal mark.

the parts i used

Last edited by Arkador; 10-01-2009 at 12:55 AM.
HomebrewCraig Likes This 
Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #63
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here is my version using the same method:

dsc04248.jpg

I put rings all the way around to make it easier to read from a distance...
dsc04249.jpg

And a pic in use...
dsc04236.jpg

Thanks OP for posting this method! I was wary at first but I can certainly support using the glass-etch now that i've tried it with good success...

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #64
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

While I do admire the creativity and they look cool, but I question the practicality of marking the volumes on a carboy. IOW, I typically know how much I put into the carboy and typically nothing escapes until I empty it, so I don't understand the advantage. I did at one time fill my 6.5 gal carboys with 5 & 6 gallons and measured the depth with a tape, but never really used the information subsequently.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #65
inspector13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be marking my carboys tomorrow evening. This is a great idea!

Thanks for the info.
Wade

Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #66
dasein668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
While I do admire the creativity and they look cool, but I question the practicality of marking the volumes on a carboy. IOW, I typically know how much I put into the carboy and typically nothing escapes until I empty it, so I don't understand the advantage. I did at one time fill my 6.5 gal carboys with 5 & 6 gallons and measured the depth with a tape, but never really used the information subsequently.
The only way I know exactly how much goes into my carboy is to calculate the volume. Markings make that easy. Amounts of racking loss from the kettle vary for me depending on hop mass (I use whole hops).
Kegs: Bailey's Porch House APA, Winter Wheat (Dunkelweizen), Copper Ale (alt)
On Deck: Bailey's Porch House APA, Vesper Red Rye, Robust Porter

Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #67
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasein668 View Post
The only way I know exactly how much goes into my carboy is to calculate the volume. Markings make that easy. Amounts of racking loss from the kettle vary for me depending on hop mass (I use whole hops).
I frequently use whole hops too and I am familiar with the racking loss issues, but my primaries are plastic that have accurate volume markings, so I know how much wort I have collected. By the time I rack to the carboy, there's not a lot that I can do about the volume unless I want to dilute it with boiled and cooled water to increase the volume. That would be a rarity for me. It comes down to a 'so what?' thing for me. So what if I'm over or under by a half gallon or even more. At that point it is what it is. I always plan for the losses and usually collect somewhat more wort than I need and that's why I use 6.5 g buckets and carboys that provide the extra freeboard. I really hate it when I get less than a full five gallons into a keg and that hasn't happened for a very long time.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #68
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I frequently use whole hops too and I am familiar with the racking loss issues, but my primaries are plastic that have accurate volume markings, so I know how much wort I have collected. By the time I rack to the carboy, there's not a lot that I can do about the volume unless I want to dilute it with boiled and cooled water to increase the volume. That would be a rarity for me. It comes down to a 'so what?' thing for me. So what if I'm over or under by a half gallon or even more. At that point it is what it is. I always plan for the losses and usually collect somewhat more wort than I need and that's why I use 6.5 g buckets and carboys that provide the extra freeboard. I really hate it when I get less than a full five gallons into a keg and that hasn't happened for a very long time.
I think some of these guys use glass for their primaries too. That is why it is important for them to have accurate markings like you have on your plastic buckets. So you have kind of made their point for them.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 10-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #69
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Yep, I ferment almost everything in glass, so it is nice to know how much I am putting in Primary for efficiency calculations.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #70
dasein668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
I think some of these guys use glass for their primaries too. That is why it is important for them to have accurate markings like you have on your plastic buckets. So you have kind of made their point for them.
Ding ding ding!

Yeah, I normally primary in glass...
Kegs: Bailey's Porch House APA, Winter Wheat (Dunkelweizen), Copper Ale (alt)
On Deck: Bailey's Porch House APA, Vesper Red Rye, Robust Porter

Quick Reply