March Pump Toolbox Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got a March Pump 815 (with a cord with a plug). I have seen a few toolbox builds and was gonna try something like that myself. I had been looking at http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/portapump.html specifically as it was pretty simple.

Next I wired each of the black wires to the gold screws on the switch, both of the green wires to the green screw on the switch, and tied both white wires together with a wire nut

Is there any reason I couldn't just skip the "use an extension cord" part, and just cut the included cord a few inches from the pump, wire it like above? Not that extension cords are really expensive or anything, I was just curious.

Also, how does one remove the Part 14 from the motor.. hex key?

Thanks for the time.

No reason you couldn't cut the existing cord. I think the main advantage to an extension cord is that it gives you more length to play with if your power outlet isn't right where you're brewing.
I made the cord on mine about 15-20' just for that reason.

OK so I am trying to recreate what was done here - http://brokenglassbrewing.blogspot.com/2011/05/pump-projekt.html

I ordered the same power inlet used - Leviton 4937 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00074USHY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and tried to follow the wiring diagram for it found here - http://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Leviton/4937 Wiring.pdf

And wired it like the following wiring diagram (i just threw this together in five minutes i know it looks like crap - the red circles are splices with wire nuts). It doesn't seem to be getting any power when I plug in an extension cord (to the switch or the outlet even) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

march pump wiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have tested for voltage on the inlet lugs with a meter? Next place to check would be the lugs on the line side of the GCFI.

Has the GCFI been tested and reset?

Ideally you should use a multi-tester. That thing is really only meant to show if there's power there or not. Most people just use those to test if there's power to a receptacle.

Your wiring diagram looks correct.
It almost sounds like you're not getting a good connection from your cord to the inlet or something. I would start there and make sure the power is even making it past your inlet connector first.

So I undid all of the wiring, turns out I was a little sloppy and using stranded wire didn't help.

Then redid the inlet -> GFCI with solid 14 gauge wire and it still wouldn't work. Then I remembered finding a GFCI that my wife must have bought years ago in our toolbox, so I tried that one - and bingo!

I still have to wire the GFCI to the switch and then the switch to the (significantly shorter) cable running from the pump itself, but I think the problem was a faulty GFCI - $15 I am definitely taking that back to Home Depot.

I rewired everything and got a smaller pvc box to cover up the NM wire spliced to the shorter pump power cord - I figure I shouldn't have exposed splices anywhere. It all fits neatly within the toolbox that I got. I may have to cut holes in the tray if I want it to fit, but I don't think that's too important.

I will post pics and a parts list tonight / tomorrow for anyone who is interested.

I found the wire on the power cord for the pump to be a bit tough to work with - maybe it was just because this is the first wiring project that I have taken on - so I picked up some 14/2 NM-B to use instead. Note that this parts list does not include the March Pump itself or any fittings for the pump head.

Parts List

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wire the power cord to the line side of the GFCI, then run wires from the load side of the GFCI to the switch.

In other words, treat the black, white and green wires in my masterpiece diagram :)cross:) above as coming from the extension cord and not a power inlet.

I'm not familiar with wiring the GFCI thing that you linked, but a GFCI outlet itself is $5 cheaper.

ditto on clean and looks good.

does the pump get hot? I have seen some toolboxes that include a fan, do you think it is really necessary?

thanks!

Back