The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > March or Chugger Pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #31
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Very cool! thanks for posting. Do you have any kind of fan for the motor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #32
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think I'm going for the chugger! John Deere green is for me!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #33
Spyksman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseBeer View Post
here are my picks of my chugger in a toolbox. i picked everthing up from homedepot last night and did the entire project in 2 hours. have not tested yet, but sure it will work. i was thinking of using two switches, one controlling the pump and one controlling another two plug gfic outlet. after thinking about it for a bit, i am not sure why i would need this. if i have something else i need to shut off it will prob be a another pump. so i left mine as one switch. i took the 25foot outdoor ext cord and cut the end off, 10" and ran that out of the switch. then cut another 16" section to go between the outlet and the switch and then the end of the cord comes in the back and into the gfic plug. no need any other wireing, just a few wire end caps and some time. i cut a 2 1/4" hole on the end to put the pump head though and mounted the pump to a short pice of ipe wood. good luck and if you have any question please let me know, very easy project and with the cost of the pump worth protecting and having a nice switch next to it.

with cutting the end off the ext cord i can still use the pump w/ the reg ext end.
Looks very nice but I would be concerened about the cooling of the motor. They have those open frames for a reason. Good idea but you need to think of cooling or you will be buying a motor unless you only run for a short time. not trying to be negative but want to save you some greif down the road. When i installed motors in a wet enviorment i made a doghouse to protect them. Usually open on the botom for cooling.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #34
Spyksman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Doublepost

Last edited by Spyksman; 10-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #35
jayrodoh
Recipes 

I ordered a stainless chugger last month, just got everything plumbed up on the stand and had an issue with the pump. I emailed them for support and they replied with a tracking number for the new pump and a spare head for my trouble. That's some serious customer service. I can't speak for the pump yet but with support like that, I don't expect any issues.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #36
hammis
Experienced"taste tester"
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Guys, thanks for all the great responses. Unfortunately i still havent had a chance to try out my chugger pump (its still sitting in the box), work and life have been insane. I did however just score 2 corny's + CO2 tank + regulator + all hosing for $125. so it seems like everything is coming together nicely. hopefully ill be able to test the pump out and actually brew before Christmas.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #37
Hogcrewer
Recipes 

I bought a Chugger SS head for my March last month. I cleaned all the machining oil off of it. Looks good and works great. As he stated when he started making these, that the inlet and outlet hole are not centric. But it does not seem to bother the performance of the pump at all. I have my old March head as a backup if I ever need it. His customer support was awesome. Shipping all the way up here to Alaska was quick and cheap. Some people think that Ak is in another country so they stick us pretty good with the shipping. Not this guy.
Bottom line, a great product at a great price. Just like so many of the vendors on here.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #38
Spyksman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrodoh View Post
I ordered a stainless chugger last month, just got everything plumbed up on the stand and had an issue with the pump. I emailed them for support and they replied with a tracking number for the new pump and a spare head for my trouble. That's some serious customer service. I can't speak for the pump yet but with support like that, I don't expect any issues.
What sort of an issue did it have?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #39
jayrodoh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyksman View Post
What sort of an issue did it have?
Motor wouldn't spin when attached to the pump. Appears the mag coupler sticks out too far.

The replacement was good to go and absolutely works as advertised. I get plenty of flow from my HLT up through the HERMS and up to the MLT. It's nice and quiet and smooth running. A big thumbs up from me on the performance and cust service!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #40
Spyksman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks good to know of problems to know common problems. Great they replaced it.

Quick Reply