LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I got this from SW, although if I could have done it the other way it would have been better. A bit more time and I could have used actual modeled copper or PVC pipe. Anyway, you get the gist.

It's more about even coverage with batch sparging than anything. Although, if you even think you will want to do fly sparging in the future, and don't want to build a manifold twice, consider making one that will be efficient for fly sparging now.

I'd probably add a crosspiece to each end, but the method I used to draw this up wouldn't easily allow for that to be added.

You could forego the piece across the top and bottom of each square, as suggested, and add another vertical to each each one, but you'd have to find some crosses, and caps, instead of more corners and Ts...

Last edited by Homercidal; 06-23-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #22
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

The nice thing about using 3 vertical for each side, instead of a box shape is that you *could* open the ends of each piece and flush clean if you want. I have good luck just running the hose backwards through mine and then finishing up with a quick flush the other way.

Just make sure you clean the inside good or you can get stuff stuck in there. Not a big deal for the beer, but might be a PITA while trying to drain.k

I drilled mine on a CNC mill and then scraped the big chucks out with a drill bit of the same size as the pipe, then filed with a round file, then finished each hole with a small bit in the dremel, then sanded the outside of each piece before soaking in strong starsan to clean.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The design doesn't matter at all for batch sparging but I don't think the OP ever clarified intent.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
MadSkeletor
Recipes 

Yeah I guess I was confused, I didn't realize all of the info on Palmer's stuff was for fly sparging. I don't really understand the science of it. So if the design for batch sparging doesn't matter does it even need a manifold? Or can you just drain from the bulkhead spigot?

I've never done any AG yet, I've just been trying to read up on everything. My understanding was you want the water to drain equally across all of the area of your MLT so that you are getting the sugars from all of the grains, not just from right above your pipe. Why doesn't that matter in batch sparging? Or is it just lessened because you are stirring everything up between the sparges?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I want mine designed with a lot of drain points.

Using only one point to drain means any sugars that are NOT located close to THAT drain will be filtered through more and more of the grain as they come to the drain point.

Quick Reply