Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Manifold: 10gal Rubbermaid HD special (round) w/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I did have a stuck sparge on a hefeweizen towards the last two or three gallons but I think that was because I didn’t mix the rice hulls in well enough. I did see someone place a manifold like this in a large mash/mesh bag (paint strainer bag) and think I might try that as well. Also, 6 ounces is awesome, maybe I’ll solder my connections after all…

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
I did have a stuck sparge on a hefeweizen towards the last two or three gallons but I think that was because I didn’t mix the rice hulls in well enough. I did see someone place a manifold like this in a large mash/mesh bag (paint strainer bag) and think I might try that as well. Also, 6 ounces is awesome, maybe I’ll solder my connections after all…
I would avoid sweating if at all possible. Having done a soldered manifold I replaced it with another one unsoldered as flushing all the grain husks out of the soldered version was a PITA.

IMHO, disassembly for cleaning purposes is a must.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I soldered the ends with all the T's/elbows together and the "H" in the middle together. Essentially, all the vertical pieces are easily separated for cleaning. Cleanup was super simple and I had no concerns about spent grain after use. I'll try to post a final (soldered) pic tonight or this weekend and explain further, just in case my description is not clear.

I'm not surprised a hefe might give this manifold challenges. I used a .031 crush on my maiden voyage and like I mentioned in my previous post, it started to really go slow at the 5 gallon point (total was 6.5 gallon draw). I was thinking about doing a hefe here soon and was debating .5 or 1 pound of hulls, probably inclined to go with more due to my initial experience. Good to know, thanks.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

This design looks great. I have a similar manifold and the thing almost never sticks! It works great, and after vorlaufing I peg it wide open. The exception would be wheat-heavy grain bills but for instance I just did a dunkelweizen that was about 50% wheat. All I did was throw in maybe .5 lb rice hulls, and it worked like a charm.

I have also wrapped the manifold in a grain bag, that works as well. It was a bit of a mess and it partially came off with the stirring, but then again mine is not as tight a fit as this design here. If you are looking for a bullet-proof solution I might go that direction, but use a zip tie or stainless wire to seal it onto the manifold.

[Edit] Revco I do not crush as fine as .031 BTW, that could be part of the issue. I do get 75-80% efficiencies. How did you do with that fine of a crush?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Flyin1500
Nationwide beer taster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I did this too! Easy. Thanks! I did not sweat the fittings, so I could clean if necessary and had like 1 cup of liquid left when draining. Cheers!

photo-14-.jpg   photo-22-.jpg  

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
Primary: EdWorts Apfelwein
Primary: Pliny Clone
Primary: Haus Pale Ale
Secondary: Hopped up IPA 2
Keg: Hopped UP IPA (my first all grain)

Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks very good!

You don't need to sweat them because any small gaps work just like your cut gaps...

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not soldering makes taking it apart for cleaning easy. But, putting it back together after a few beers… not so easy

Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry for the delay. Here's how I soldered my unit. Makes for a pretty easy assemble and disassemble, pretty well drunk proof. All you gotta do is make sure all the slits are facing the right direction. I found I was mixing up a couple of the pieces pre-solder, so I'd have to take it apart and reassemble it correctly. The unit cleans out very well, no complaints.

I used it again yesterday. Fantastic performance...easily got me into the high 80's efficiency-wise with a good crush. Still gotta do a hefe with it to see how she does...possibly next month.

P.S. Don't judge me because of my sweat job. I suck at it, I know...and it was my first go with sweating pipe, ever. I might rebuild it someday, since I now have a better propane tip and 5' of spare copper pipe.

Quick Reply