Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Manifold: 10gal Rubbermaid HD special (round) w/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Manifold: 10gal Rubbermaid HD special (round) w/pics

Note: this is from an older post of mine but updated with dimensions… so I thought I’d share it as a new thread

I brewed the other day and got a stuck sparge; after blowing into the silicon hose the end of the screen floated up to the top… this has been a headache from day one when trying to mix over 22lbs+ of crushed grain with a paddle and constantly hitting the screen. Anyway, after cleaning up, the screen looked like this:

manifold1.jpg

Piece of *&$@!!!! But in darkness, as always, I turned to HBT for light and with the help from others I made this:

manifold2.jpg

manifold3.jpg

manifold4.jpg

I used a dremel tool to cut the slits (used two 1/32 cutting wheels sandwiched together) and was going to solder but after testing it, the pieces are air tight.

It fits snug in my 10g round cooler and my dead space went from 0.4 gallons to 0.078 gallons (or 1 ¼ cup)!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had some requests for the dimensions for my manifold… here they are. It’s a pretty tight fit in the cooler (10gal round Rubbermaid); you need to apply some pressure to get it to seat on the bottom. I like it like that, it hasn’t moved at all while stirring. It’s not tight enough to damage the cooler though… but +1/8” on one of the pieces might make it impossible to seat.

manifoldnumbered2.jpg

1. 1 7/8”
2. 3”
3. 1 7/8”
4. 8 ¼”
5. 3 13/16”
6. 3 13/16”
7. 8 ¼”
8. 3 13/16”
9. 1 1/8”
10. 1 1/8”
11. 3 1/8”
12. 3 13/16”
13. 1 7/8”
14. 3”
15. 1 7/8”

nibco-half-copper-adapter.jpg
(NIBCO 1/2 in. Copper Adapter)

Copper pipe: ½” X 5’ (I believe I got away with using just one 5’ piece… i.e., I didn’t make any mistakes).
Copper elbows: 4
Copper T’s: 7
Project fun: 10+

Note that this manifold uses over 4’ of copper therefore it might make sense to get two ½” x 5’ lengths of copper in case you make a mistake (save a trip back to HD). The high-temp silicon tubing is cut to fit. Attached to the inside bulkhead is a copper female hose fitting (NIBCO ½ in. Copper Adapter… see pic) along with a short piece of pipe so that the silicon tubing slips over it.

Also, a rat-tail file worked great to remove all the burs (I picked up the “Husky 10-piece File Set“ from HD for $10.97… a steal!)

manifold4.jpg

Old 06-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Good job!

Coming up
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
jaz5833
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put a coiled length of SS welding wire inside mine to keep it expanded. It works really well.

If you wait till the last minute to do everything, it will only take you a minute to do them.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
evandena
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks good. I should probably upgrade mine one of these days.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
revco
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the measurements for this and the build in general. It made putting together my manifold a breeze. It was a perfect fit, the first time. Agreed, it's tight, but absolutely perfect.

I modified the design slightly for my purposes. I shortened pieces 5 & 6 by one inch and added one inch to pieces 8 & 12. I did this to support my coupler/hose barb on the inside of my cooler and I also intend to put a 45 degree bend in the riser tubing to straighten the connection to my hose barb to nearly level.

Here's my work, pre-sweating. (I did not get an air tight fit! ) Looking forward to giving it a spin in a couple weeks.

Thanks again!

P.S. Sorry for the cell phone pic. It's convenient right now.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
freeokw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

looks good!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revco View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for posting the measurements for this and the build in general. It made putting together my manifold a breeze. It was a perfect fit, the first time. Agreed, it's tight, but absolutely perfect.

I modified the design slightly for my purposes. I shortened pieces 5 & 6 by one inch and added one inch to pieces 8 & 12. I did this to support my coupler/hose barb on the inside of my cooler and I also intend to put a 45 degree bend in the riser tubing to straighten the connection to my hose barb to nearly level.
Nice, glad it fit together… you’ll have to post a pic of it inside (to see the riser tubing…?) Thanks for the feedback

Old 11-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

This looks great. My s/s braid is starting to look like yours did. Might need to do this soon.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
revco
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I finally got to brew on my new rig yesterday and this manifold performed exceptionally well for me, very pleased. No problems with the stirring of the mash and drainage was great, albeit a bit slow for the final gallon. For performance reference of this manifold, I had 6oz of liquid left in my MLT in my dead space test.

Thanks again!

Edit: P.S. I ended up not using the 45 degree fitting. After a test fit and test run, I found it was unnecessary. Simpler was better in this case. So mine is just like yours, just with the slightly modified dimensions.

Quick Reply