Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Man Cave under Construction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #31
obrion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

looks awesome!

i am starting to build a bar with similar ideas in mind. Quick question though, how are you keeping your lines cool in your tower? It looks like your kegerator doesn't sit flush with your counter top making a gap between the tower and the kegerator. I would love to see a photo of that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #32
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im glad you asked.

I did not take a pic of it and it would require me to take the tower off at this point to do so so you will have to use your imagination here:

I took a piece of 2 1/2" pvc pipe, as the hole in the fridge and bar top was 2 1/2", and placed inside of it copper pipe. the copper I had was 3/4", perfect for sliding beer line inside of that. The PVC sat flush with the inner side of the fridge where the hole was and almost to the top of the tower where the lines came out of the shank. Inside the PVC i placed the copper and had it stick out on the bottom or fridge side of the PVC about 2.5 inches. This is to get some direct contact of cold air on the copper in the hopes it would conduct cool air up the lines that were inside of the copper. it worked! in order to seat the copper inside the PVC I used the expanding foam and filled that bad boy up, let it sit and bang, seated copper tubes.
I then used some cheap "L" shaped braces that come with cheap blinds and screwed them to the PVC so that they would rest on the top of the fridge between it and the bar top.
All around the opening where the PVC meets the interior of the fridge i put some expandable foam to keep the cold air in.

So far it works great!

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #33
obrion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC View Post
Im glad you asked.

I did not take a pic of it and it would require me to take the tower off at this point to do so so you will have to use your imagination here:

I took a piece of 2 1/2" pvc pipe, as the hole in the fridge and bar top was 2 1/2", and placed inside of it copper pipe. the copper I had was 3/4", perfect for sliding beer line inside of that. The PVC sat flush with the inner side of the fridge where the hole was and almost to the top of the tower where the lines came out of the shank. Inside the PVC i placed the copper and had it stick out on the bottom or fridge side of the PVC about 2.5 inches. This is to get some direct contact of cold air on the copper in the hopes it would conduct cool air up the lines that were inside of the copper. it worked! in order to seat the copper inside the PVC I used the expanding foam and filled that bad boy up, let it sit and bang, seated copper tubes.
I then used some cheap "L" shaped braces that come with cheap blinds and screwed them to the PVC so that they would rest on the top of the fridge between it and the bar top.
All around the opening where the PVC meets the interior of the fridge i put some expandable foam to keep the cold air in.

So far it works great!
thanks for the reply,

That's awesome! I will surely be taking note of using the copper and pvc, that's a whole lot cheaper then buying a fan.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #34
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used copper and water pipe foam tubes to fill the space around the copper pipe. Works great. Thanks to the idea on this site.
I have a lot more copper mass in the fridge than in the tower to make sure there is a good heat transfer taking place.
The only issue is that I should have put the tower 1 inch back from center to accomodate the pipe and the kegs without a little forcing as the pipe get's in the way of the kegs from fitting all the way in to the hump. So they lean a little bit.

Quick Reply