Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The Man Cave is pretty much complete! w/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #21
Celestyal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cool, thanks for posting.

Yes i'm a chipmunk fan, yes i've seen both of the CG movies and some of the animated ones, and yes, i'm proud of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #22
mparmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's what I'd be with 5 taps goin. Beautiful man cave build dude!

Having trouble remembering life before homebrewing.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Personally I see many things wrong with your setup. First and most important of all is that IT'S NOT MINE! Second is that IT'S NOT MINE!

Guess nothing else matters except GREAT JOB - LOOKS GREAT

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 08-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #24
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That is awesome! Great job.

I am in the process of designing my draft box as well and had a couple questions:

1. What are the dimensions of your draft box? Looks like a perfect size.
2. Where do you find 1/4" thick moisture barrier styrofoam? I went to Lowes to pick some up today and the kid I asked looked at me like I was from another planet. Is this something to be picked up at any hardware store?
3. Did you use waterproof insulating tape?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 AM   #25
surreal_trip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
great setup, what else is down there?
Dead Bodies....

But honestly man I like the setup... My only suggestion would be up the anti and find a way to get more primaries in there!!! MUHAHAHAAH

NEEED MOOOORE HOMEBREWWWWW!!

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #26
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1383 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
That is awesome! Great job.

I am in the process of designing my draft box as well and had a couple questions:

1. What are the dimensions of your draft box? Looks like a perfect size.
The box is 18"W x 3.5"H x 5.5"D. I used 1x4 oak for the sides & 1x6 for the top/bottom.

One thing that I would change if doing it over is either the placement of the holes in the bottom for the beer lines, or making it a bit deeper (front to back) so the lines were able to run straight down, instead of having them run to the other side.

The original plan was to have the 2 fans side by side, but because I didn't have my shanks/tailpieces at the time, or accurate dimesnions for them, I ended up having to put one on top of the other and run the beer lines across to the other side since they couldn't make the turn to go down. I think I would have gotten better airflow with my original plan.

Right now, with the keezer kept at 35*, the box will stay about 50* with an ambient temp of 70-75. There is more that I plan to do to help get this temp down, such as adding a fan inside the keezer to circulate that air, insulate the lines running down to the keezer that house the beer lines, and getting a better seal on the lid of the draft box.

Quote:
2. Where do you find 1/4" thick moisture barrier styrofoam? I went to Lowes to pick some up today and the kid I asked looked at me like I was from another planet. Is this something to be picked up at any hardware store?
What I have was used behind vinyl siding as extra insulation/moisture barrier. What I have came from a commercial supplier, but you should be able to find something suitable at Lowes/HD. Regular 1/4" styrofoam should work fine.

I have access to a lot of it, so if you really want the same stuff, just PM me and I'll send you some for the cost of shipping. I do a lot of shipping, so I'm not worried about the cost of packing materials, just shipping cost.

Quote:
3. Did you use waterproof insulating tape?
I didn't use any waterproof insulating tape. I simply siliconed the pieces of styrofoam directly to the wood. I plan to use some type of flexible insulated duct work, or something similar, to insulate the lines running down to the keezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
Dead Bodies....

But honestly man I like the setup... My only suggestion would be up the anti and find a way to get more primaries in there!!! MUHAHAHAAH

NEEED MOOOORE HOMEBREWWWWW!!
I actually took the advice others gave me in this post and turned the fridge to the right of those carboys into a fermentation chamber. I can only fit 4 carboys in it though, so I let them go through active fermentation, then move them up there, for now. It did make a huge difference in the taste of my beer, especially once summer hit and things warmed up. No more fruity flavors in my beer with a temp controlled fermentation chamber!

As I plan for my switch to AG, and am looking at going bigger (doing 15G batches), I'm realizing I need a large area for both fermentation and keeping kegs/bottles chilled for immediate use. At this point, it's looking like my side of the garage is most likely going to become a walk in cooler & fermentation chamber.

And I had to move the dead hookers to the attic, the smell was beginning to rise up into the rest of the house.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #27
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Right on man, I appreciate all the feedback, that is extremely helpful! Thanks for the offer on the styrofoam, I am going to stop by a couple shops this week and sounds like I should be able to find something similar, but I appreciate it!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #28
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Looks good man. My boys birthday party is this Sunday, and then my bar build finally begins .

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #29
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

How is the draft box lid secured, or is it?

Quick Reply