New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > MalFet's bottle washer for lazy homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #51
Spinrathen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm thinking about doing this in pex or copper to avoid the jb weld. Pex would be easier but I'm thinking it may be hard or expensive to find 1/2 1/2 1/4 t's. We'll see when I get around to it.

Thank you Jerry!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #52
micahshaw
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I gave it a shot and followed your directions as best I could. Unfortunately no one around here seems to carry the CPVC 1/2" cross piece. (Really?!?!). I also used 1.5" long pieces to join the cross pieces. which gave me nice even spacing in all directions. I also learned that 1/2" CPVC and 1/2" PVC are not even remotely the same size. Is one measured inside and one outside?

Anyhow, I need to get back to the store to pick up the right pieces to actually hook this up to my pump. Right now it is friction fit with a 3/4" PVC fitting going around the outside of the 1/2" CPVC T fitting. You will notice that due to no cross piece, I had to move were the assembly attaches to the water, which may the the source of one of my problems.

I have this pump:http://www.harborfreight.com/35-horsepower-dirty-water-pump-with-float-switch-69298.html, which is slightly more powerful than the one you used. However, as you can see in the pictures below, the results are underwhelming. One of the tubes has litterally nothing coming out, and the one next to it is not enough to get to the top of a bottle. I haven't used any JB Weld, or glued any joints yet, but they do not appear to be leaking to any significant degree.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this performance is so poor?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #53
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahshaw View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on why this performance is so poor?
Hmm...I can't tell from your pictures, but it looks like your pipe chassis is significantly elevated above your water source and pump. Is that the case? How much vertical travel is there between the output of your pump and the base of the washer?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #54
micahshaw
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
How much vertical travel is there between the output of your pump and the base of the washer?
It is resting on the top of a corny keg next to the bucket that the pump is in the bottom of. So, that much. (about 2.5 ft?) Once I get the proper coupling for a hose to hook it up, I will have it lowered about a foot, but I don't think it is going to make a huge difference. I know there are alot of ways to measure power on these pumps, and the one you have lists head of 25ft, where mine is only 19.7. But it seams like the real world difference between our setups is way more than just your pump maybe being a bit more powerful.

Also, just as a test, I put a bunch of bottles on mine to see if having bottles on all the other tubes created a little back pressure. It did not. Results were the same. And many of the other bottles were not being rinse properly because the stream was too weak to really hit the bottom of the bottle and spread out like it should.

-micah

Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #55
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
It is resting on the top of a corny keg next to the bucket that the pump is in the bottom of. So, that much. (about 2.5 ft?) Once I get the proper coupling for a hose to hook it up, I will have it lowered about a foot, but I don't think it is going to make a huge difference. I know there are alot of ways to measure power on these pumps, and the one you have lists head of 25ft, where mine is only 19.7. But it seams like the real world difference between our setups is way more than just your pump maybe being a bit more powerful.
I really suspect that's your problem. Your pump puts out 20% less pressure than mine at baseline, and then you've got an extra 2 1/2 feet of head. One of the comments in your pump's reviews specifically mentions a complete loss of pressure at only 3 feet of vertical push.

Beyond that, the only thing I can think of would be inline constriction somewhere. There's really not a lot to this device otherwise. If your power is low, it is almost certainly a problem with the pump.

What makes you say that you think there's something more to it than that?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #56
micahshaw
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
What makes you say that you think there's something more to it than that?
This pump works great with my carboy washer, I thought it might actually launch my better bottle is had so much power (but the weight of the water trying to get out keeps it in place). But that is running through 3/4" PVC. The ID of this 1/2" CPVC may just be so much extra pressure that it ain't gonna work. Which is unfortunate since I bought that pump about 6 months ago, and can't return it now.

But I am tempted to go ahead and get that clearly superior (based on reviews) pump that you linked to. I wonder what the used sump pump market is around me looks like...

-micah

Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #57
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
This pump works great with my carboy washer, I thought it might actually launch my better bottle is had so much power (but the weight of the water trying to get out keeps it in place). But that is running through 3/4" PVC. The ID of this 1/2" CPVC may just be so much extra pressure that it ain't gonna work. Which is unfortunate since I bought that pump about 6 months ago, and can't return it now.

But I am tempted to go ahead and get that clearly superior (based on reviews) pump that you linked to. I wonder what the used sump pump market is around me looks like...

-micah
Yeah, unfortunately I think you'll just need a new pump. More than the diameter of the CPVC, the actual copper tubing itself is (I suspect) causing the lion's share of resistance. For this application, head pressure is probably a more important measurement than total flow. Thanks for posting, and let us know what happens! I'll edit the original post to include a warning about minimum head pressure.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #58
fork
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you guys think this would work with a march or chugger pump?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #59
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork View Post
Do you guys think this would work with a march or chugger pump?
Definitely not. Magnetic impeller pumps lose pressure very quickly on restriction.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #60
fork
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Definitely not. Magnetic impeller pumps lose pressure very quickly on restriction.
Yes that is true, but the cross sectional are of all those little copper tubes is actually larger that a single 1/2 inch pipe that those pumps are normally used with. Though all of the turns and transitions in the manifold create losses. Do you think that this manifold would be more of a restriction than those pumps normally work with?

Quick Reply