HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > MalFet's bottle washer for lazy homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #121
Jaybird
Vendor
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 75

What a killer idea! I like those larger milk crates. Thanks for the link!!

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #122
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I'm decidedly taking the hard route by using fittings and fully sweated copper risers. I'm about 8+ hours of labor into this thing. My unit is not even close to being the product of a "lazy homebrewer." Haha. But, I'm getting close to wrapping it up...just need to finish gluing up the CPVC.

Thought I'd provide you an update, though. I finished the copper sweats tonight for all 24 risers, including my drilled caps. I'm happy to report that, with full restriction across all risers and using 1/8" holes in the caps, I'm getting upwards of 5-6' of water height from each riser. The stream has some pretty decent power, too, especially at 4-5" above where the base of the bottle will be . I'm going to hold off on drilling out the caps to 3/16" until I can get a better test.

My initial testing was somewhat precarious since I haven't glued it together yet. There's some serious water pressure going on & it's blowing the fittings! Unfortunately, it was too precarious to get any pics of it in operation before it fell completely apart on me. But so far, my short testing showed it's going to perform.

I'm not 100% settled on my bottle mounting mechanism, a 1" cap. I discovered when using the 1/2" to 1/4" reducer couplings, it will virtually plug up the entire mouth of the bottle and this will fully stop the spout from working at all. So, if you intend to use fittings, you have to figure out a way to get the bottle off the riser to allow it to properly drain. As you'll see, I drilled out a pattern in the 1" caps to address this issue. They're mostly sturdy, but I think I may seek another method. I'm still tossing around a few ideas.

I'll try to wrap things up tomorrow night, at least so I can show you what my design looks like overall, but for now, I'll leave you with this:

Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #123
BarrelheadBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by revco View Post
Well, I'm decidedly taking the hard route by using fittings and fully sweated copper risers. I'm about 8+ hours of labor into this thing. My unit is not even close to being the product of a "lazy homebrewer." Haha. But, I'm getting close to wrapping it up...just need to finish gluing up the CPVC.

Thought I'd provide you an update, though. I finished the copper sweats tonight for all 24 risers, including my drilled caps. I'm happy to report that, with full restriction across all risers and using 1/8" holes in the caps, I'm getting upwards of 5-6' of water height from each riser. The stream has some pretty decent power, too, especially at 4-5" above where the base of the bottle will be . I'm going to hold off on drilling out the caps to 3/16" until I can get a better test.

My initial testing was somewhat precarious since I haven't glued it together yet. There's some serious water pressure going on & it's blowing the fittings! Unfortunately, it was too precarious to get any pics of it in operation before it fell completely apart on me. But so far, my short testing showed it's going to perform.

I'm not 100% settled on my bottle mounting mechanism, a 1" cap. I discovered when using the 1/2" to 1/4" reducer couplings, it will virtually plug up the entire mouth of the bottle and this will fully stop the spout from working at all. So, if you intend to use fittings, you have to figure out a way to get the bottle off the riser to allow it to properly drain. As you'll see, I drilled out a pattern in the 1" caps to address this issue. They're mostly sturdy, but I think I may seek another method. I'm still tossing around a few ideas.

I'll try to wrap things up tomorrow night, at least so I can show you what my design looks like overall, but for now, I'll leave you with this:
That thing looks like a beast... That's what I was shooting for with mine, but after 10+ hours and not a lot of progress, I gave up and went with the original design. It's not as sturdy as what I was shooting for, but only took me 2 hours to put together.... Can't wait to see this thing completed though.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #124
revco
Recipes 

Well, if you're looking for bottle rattling pressure, I've found it.

I finished the primary gluing on my unit tonight and the manifold is far more stable with so many connections using fittings. I'm leaving some parts friction fitted, particularly the risers, because I may want to swap them between manifolds that are custom designed for each bottle size. When thinking about it, the entire manifold (with fittings) costs about 20 bucks a piece. Whereas the copper risers run almost $2.00 a piece these days, or close to $50 with 24 of them. So it's sensible to make the risers removable and I'm gonna stick to that concept, hell or high water.

This system features a 1" pump input that has been optimized for the minimal total head as possible, given the pump's height and the necessary fittings to reduce the 1-1/4" output to 1" slip style fitting. I did this because I understand that the more vertical height a pump has to push, the less flow and pressure will be exerted at the given height. As was observed last night, I'm still getting 5-6 feet of water column height. Come to find out, as designed, it's doing the job a little too well.

I discovered a new (presumably good) problem tonight in my testing. The pressure of this system is definitely enough to push 12oz bottles right off the manifold, since my risers aren't glued down. That means my "bottle drenching stream" is enough to lift a 12oz bottle, 7" of copper and a 1" CPVC cap over 5/8" off the manifold. I wasn't expecting that. I couldn't get the system stable enough to actually observe the bottle coverage, because it kept throwing everything except bomber bottles off the manifold. But in between unplugging the pump, it looked excellent.

Seems I have few ways to solve this. Use a temporary adhesive (tape) to strap the copper reducer to the CPVC tee. Figure out a more secure, stable and effective stabilization mechanism. Or I can simply open the copper cap's opening a wee bit (1/16"), which should reduce the overall pressure and thus the strength of the stream. I'm going to think on it for a bit because once I drill out the caps, what's done is done.

P.S. Please forgive my crappy sweating job. I didn't pick this up until I started building my own copper mash tun manifolds and I'm by no means an expert plumber. 1/4" fittings took some getting used to.

Here's the basic concept, to be refined:

Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #125
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Wow, that's stunningly cool! Are you getting sufficient drainage from the caps?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #126
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 1501 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 2283

Think if you moved the rinsers closer together you could make an automatic nettipot?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #127
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Think if you moved the rinsers closer together you could make an automatic nettipot?
I like it, creamy. Some may say you go too far, but I say you don't go too far enough!

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #128
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 1501 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 2283

Think about it though... save time and get a more thorough rinse.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #129
revco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Wow, that's stunningly cool! Are you getting sufficient drainage from the caps?
Yeah, thanks. I do seem to be getting decent drainage, it's emptying as it's filling. There's eight 3/16" holes drilled per cap, so plenty of room to drain. I suspect I'll get a little more foam once I add the PBW, but I'm hoping that won't have a serious impact.

I'm still not totally happy with the caps and am trying to think through various possible solutions. They're mostly stable, but a couple aren't as stable as the others. Right now, I'm leaning towards a board with holes drilled per riser that is lifted about 2" above the manifold somehow, probably with CPVC since it's practically dirt cheap. That would pretty securely hold the bottles vertically and wouldn't cost much. I've got to do some testing, though, to find out the exact size hole I want and how that affects various bottle types. I'm trying to make this work with 12oz, shorties and bombers.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #130
revco
Recipes 

I'm on the home stretch! System is mostly stable, but still occasionally blowing the copper risers, even when tightly taped with electrical tape. I may end up being forced to glue the copper risers to the manifold, but I'm going to think on some better potential solutions.

Oh, and a minor correction...this system, once stabilized, will launch water about 10-12 feet in the air. It's a pretty incredible sight and the bottle cleaning power is unreal. Plain warm water is knocking gunk out of the bottles almost immediately. It's almost as good as having the bottles under a jet washer, except I have 24 of them working at the same time.

I did away with the 1" cap bottle holders, it was just too unstable for my tastes. I ended up building a wooden bottle holder, using 1-1/8" drilled holes, that rests on top of the risers at the perfect height. It will comfortably & snugly hold regular 12oz, shorties and bombers all at the same time. Drainage is also much improved.

I'm almost done hijacking your thread, Malfet! Thanks for indulging me while I build a kick a$$ bottle cleaner, inspired by your design! I'll get some more pix once I get the thing fully stabilized and have good light...but for now, I'll wet your appetite with this:

Quick Reply