Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Making large batches...equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
5 Is Not Enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, and as far as cooling wort goes, you could use any run of the mill counterflow chiller and a pump. Probably one of the simplest parts of upgrading batch sizes...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

As everyone else said 200 gallons is a lot and you could only brew one batch per year.

I brew 25 gallon batches and it is difficult for me to store that much beer, to store 200 gallons you would need a huge walk in cooler.

Since you cannot sell the beer you make at home it is not worth brewing such large batches, you want some variety anyways.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
BryanZ
Recipes 

Ok, so basically don't even think about going to that scale until I'm lisenced. To be honest I sort of pictured doing it Drew Carrey style until I have large scale equipment, but I guess it's not as easy as he makes it on the show.

does anybody have the slightest clue how much it costs for a lisence to brew and sell your beer? I am in NJ, about 5 mins from philly. I will probably sell it in PA as from what I understand its next to impossible in NJ.

It is my dream, and I've been doing some research on it with a lot of mixed results. I really need to talk to someone whos done it, but I don't have access to that right now.

Does anybody have the slightest clue? I'm sure I could get a business loan for the equipment and facility, but is a lisence going to cost me like $50k, $200k, $1mill?, I really don't have a clue.

Last edited by BryanZ; 03-20-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Monster Mash
Recipes 

There is a huge risk involved when taking out loans for a brewery and so getting a loan would not be that easy.

You are new at brewing and you really have no clue how a brewery runs and what it takes to market beer.

I've been brewing 14 years, I have multiple awards from contests around the U.S. and I know people that have owned breweries and other who are brewers at brewpubs. With everything I have learned about brewing over the years the one thing I have learned is brewing is a tough business and if you don't have an excellent product, a huge amount of money and determination you will not make it.

Before you even concider brewing for a living you need to work on your skills as a brewer, you need to learn everything there is about brewing and beer styles and try to get a job as a brewer to learn how a brewery operates.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash
As everyone else said 200 gallons is a lot and you could only brew one batch per year.

I brew 25 gallon batches and it is difficult for me to store that much beer, to store 200 gallons you would need a huge walk in cooler.

Since you cannot sell the beer you make at home it is not worth brewing such large batches, you want some variety anyways.
Mash Man....

You have the best beer p0rn E V A R ! ! ! !

Old 03-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can either hire a head brewer or learn yourself. You can start by volunteering as an assistant brewer cleaning out the mash tun and stuff. Most folks start out brewing as a hobby for many years before wanting to take their well tested creations commercially. If you want to do it quickly as a business venture, hiring a really good, awarding winning brewer is the only way. You won't be selling much beer if it's your 10th batch ever.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
BryanZ
Recipes 

Quote:
There is a huge risk involved when taking out loans for a brewery and so getting a loan would not be that easy.

You are new at brewing and you really have no clue how a brewery runs and what it takes to market beer.

I've been brewing 14 years, I have multiple awards from contests around the U.S. and I know people that have owned breweries and other who are brewers at brewpubs. With everything I have learned about brewing over the years the one thing I have learned is brewing is a tough business and if you don't have an excellent product, a huge amount of money and determination you will not make it.

Before you even concider brewing for a living you need to work on your skills as a brewer, you need to learn everything there is about brewing and beer styles and try to get a job as a brewer to learn how a brewery operates.
I have the determination, the cash, and I definatly have the business skills. The only thing I don't have is the beer. I've already been brain storming how to get different brews.

I'm an avid beer drinker, and I have realized that making a good beer is really not the key to success, it mainly just marketing.

Corona, budweiser, coors, etc, all make billions with crap beer. I'm not saying I'm going to make anything like that, but I don't think the brewing side of it is the difficult part.

In order to get to that point (hopefully within 5 years) I need your experienced advice, please if educate me on what you have learned in your years about starting a business, lisencing, money needed, etc.

Basically my plan goes as follows....pay cash for the lisence, and then maybe build a bigger garage at my house, and set up a small scale brewery and sell to the local liquor stores, friends, local bars, etc. Once I judge that its a good investment, I will go ahead and get a loan for the big equipment and a warehouse. I doubt it would cost me more then 250K, which is really not that huge of an investment considering the warehouse and the equipment can be sold if I am a failure.

I'm just brainstorming btw, you probably know way more then me, which is why I joined here, so people like you could share your experience.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
BryanZ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You can either hire a head brewer or learn yourself. You can start by volunteering as an assistant brewer cleaning out the mash tun and stuff. Most folks start out brewing as a hobby for many years before wanting to take their well tested creations commercially. If you want to do it quickly as a business venture, hiring a really good, awarding winning brewer is the only way. You won't be selling much beer if it's your 10th batch ever.
This is not going to happen for several years, sorry if I sound like I'm getting ahead of myself. I know I come off like it's as easy as 1-2-3, I'm aware it's not. I just don't know how else to ask the questions I need answers for

Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanZ
Basically my plan goes as follows....pay cash for the lisence, and then maybe build a bigger garage at my house, and set up a small scale brewery and sell to the local liquor stores, friends, local bars, etc. Once I judge that its a good investment, I will go ahead and get a loan for the big equipment and a warehouse. I doubt it would cost me more then 250K, which is really not that huge of an investment considering the warehouse and the equipment can be sold if I am a failure.

I'm just brainstorming btw, you probably know way more then me, which is why I joined here, so people like you could share your experience.
You can't sell beer you made at home, you won't even be able to get a license until you have a business location and at that point you had better have customers already lined up.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
BryanZ
Recipes 

Quote:
You can't sell beer you made at home, you won't even be able to get a license until you have a business location and at that point you had better have customers already lined up.
exactly the type of info I was looking for, anything else?

Quick Reply