Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > making freezer warmer in fridge/freezer combo kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
sideshow_ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default making freezer warmer in fridge/freezer combo kegerator

I just picked up a new 10 cu-ft fridge/freezer combo from Sears outlet yesterday for half off, with the idea of keeping my kegs in the fridge but running my taps through the freezer section with it set to its warmest setting. While playing with the unit, I realized that the way it works is that the cooling coils are all in the freezer, and it cools the fridge by blowing the cold air down through a duct; the relative temperature of the two is controlled by a variable damper to limit how much cold air goes into the fridge.

I am thinking of removing the damper and putting the whole unit on a digital temperature control, in the hope that (a) this will make cooling the fridge part more efficient, (b) the freezer will stay just a little colder than the fridge to keep my lines (and bottles of beer) cold too. I am going to experiment with this over the next few days, but in the meanwhile I am curious if anyone has already tried this out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
sideshow_ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

On further thought, I may cut a 3-4 in hole in the divider and put a low-current fan to circulate the freezer air down in addition to the built-in duct. It is less dramatic than removing the divider but more effective than just opening up one duct.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply