New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > making ferm chiller / cannibalizing avanti wine cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
ronjonacron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Default making ferm chiller / cannibalizing avanti wine cooler

Alright guys, title says it all. I picked up an avanti wine chiller for free from craigslist. It doesnt cool and avanti doesnt seem to be very repair friendly. It was just barely too small to fit a 6.5 gallon carboy, so i decided to get creative. The model has a really nice digital display and temp probes and 3 fans throughout the whole thing. Right now im in the process of taking it apart and plan to use the display and the fans with a modified son of a fermentation chiller design. Ill post a couple of pictures of me tearing it apart, and post pictures throughout the process for anyone who wants to follow along. Also, any questions and comments welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Here are a couple pics of what i have taken apart so far

Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Wow, this thing is build really well, and it looks like all the wiring in run through what was expanding foam insulation, so im having to chisel away at insulation to get the whole wiring.assembly out. Im gonna clean up amd through away all the "trash" and ill post a couple pics of the destruction/progress.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Alright phase 1 complete. Got all the wiring harness out of the insulation. Took me about three hours between taking the paneling off and breaking up the insulation and taking about the fridge pieces. Cut my thumb with a razor blade, other than that a very successful first step, didnt damage any of the wires or circuits or anything. Heres a couple photos. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
ndlancer54
Recipes 

I actually did that same thing but for dual stage kenmore wine chiller. I got it for free on craigslist bc it wouldn't cool and i figured I'd use it for parts later down the row. It took me about an hour or so go follow the wires through the insulation foam and ripping it apart slowly to protect the wires. I got 2 probes, 2 fans, power supply, UV glass door, and the dual controller. Can't complain. Definally a project in the making when I have some free time and an idea.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Hah I'm doing the same thing with a Danby wine cooler that wasn't cooling anymore, got it for free as well. Yeah they're a pain to get apart with wiring intact. I decided I wouldn't bother with that, and sorta cut the wires as close to where they went into the insulation as possible, and labeled them all with their purpose. So cut the temp probes out of the walls and I'll just re splice them together later on. Mine is a dual zone with a little low wattage baseboard-style heater in it as well.

In my case I'm planning on using this core temperature control to power some fridge guts I pulled out of a too-small mini fridge.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Psych
Recipes 

Here's something to consider, which I just discovered for my own build this weekend: My wine fridge I was pulling all of the temperature control stuff out of was a dual zone, one for whites (range 40-50f) and one for reds (range 55-65). I thought "Bingo, perfect temps for everything I need!", however the compressor is ONLY controlled by the coldest temp.

So I managed to get this whole dealy plugged into my other fridge's compressor, with the temps reading 72f on my workbench the compressor kicked in just as planned, I cooled that probe down to below 40f using an ice pack, it shut off...right on! But oh wait, I have no nice and easy way to get this thing to hang out at 64, for instance, as the 'red wine zone' was controlled just by a fan moving cold air from the 'white wine zone' until it hit that temp. The only way I could do that would be to have a chamber where all the cold happens, set to 40 or 50, then use a fan to move that air out into the larger chamber until it hits 64.

Too much hassle and extra room inside needed for additional walls, so I've ordered the $20 STC-1000 off of Ebay, via Hong Kong I can just build that directly into the build and it'll actually take up far less room than the wine fridge controls would have.

Good luck with yours!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Right on, my plan is to use the son of a fermentation build using these parts, so ill only be using the cooling part of it, via the fans and ice.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Psych
Recipes 

That should work perfectly for you then, that's the only scenario that'd work in my case and it's not the one I wanted hehe

Was kinda surprised when the compressor actually kicked in, after tying it into the wine fridge electronic thermostat stuff. No transplanted organ rejection here!

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Ok, so heres an update.
Got all of the wiring out and wired back, and man was that fun after having it stuffed away for months. Ive got 2 temp sensors and 1 fan. The fan pretty much stays on at all times even when ive got the temp probe sittin in ice water.

Ive tried isolating the temp sensors, and it seems only one of them will chamge the reading on the panel, not sure what the other one does, this was a fridge unit so i dont think it has any warming capsbilities.
Im uploading a few pics, and am open the ANY suggestions.

forumrunner_20130115_222130.jpg

forumrunner_20130115_222152.jpg

forumrunner_20130115_222211.jpg

forumrunner_20130115_222230.jpg

forumrunner_20130115_222253.jpg

Quick Reply