Sorry it has been so long, been busy...here are a bunch of updates and pics from my last 3 weekends of work on this baby.
Finally got the rest of the box put together and the freezer loaded in. Here's a nice shot of the front.
Top, you can see the countersunk screws. There are only 5 because we planned to use 2 more to bolt the tower to the top as well, for a total of 7.
Shot of the inside, we used a piece of plywood to distribute the load more widely, and used big washers as well.
Shot of the corner.
Look at that miter! The piece of wood was obviously the same and even the grains lined up. We were pretty excited, and we got a very similar clean result throughout this project.
Gluing the front pieces on.
My father-in-law pre-constructed the box and we were able to just screw/bolt it on directly.
Here's a shot with some unsecured, dry fitter insulation.
You can see we cut some 3" pipe couplers in half to give it a more finished look, and function as a stopper so the pipe wouldn't slip through.
We used a router to grind down the drip tray. We intend to have the tray sit flush on top of the tile, and have the tile sit nearly flush next to the wood pieces mitered on the top.
You can't see it, but we drilled a hole for a drain in the drip tray as well, which I plan to run tubing to a 1 gallon jug or something to catch any spilled beer (heaven forbid...). Here's a pic of the tray dry fitted.
Gluing the tap board to the front!
And not long after, we drilled the holes and fitted a tap to see how things went. I originally bought 4" shanks, but returned them and got 5" shanks instead. The 4" would have worked but I didn't account for the 3/4" of insulation behind the wood, so only the nipple would have stuck out really.
As you can see, I went with the adjustable Perlick faucets. I figured it would make more sense to just have one CO2 manifold at the same pressure, and adjust each faucet as need depending on the style of beer.
I looked around for tile at many local SoCal tile stores, but didn't have much luck finding something that would look good with the red stain I wanted to use. I ended up finding this at Home Depot for ~$16 sq/ft. I'm thinking I might use it vertically instead of horizontally.
Shot of the finished front!
And the side.
Here's how we finished it off towards the back of the tower. I didn't see a lot of photos showing this so I figured I would show how we did it.
After a crapton of reading about staining birch I decided to use a 1lb cut of shellac to help seal the wood more uniformly (1 part of full strength shellac mixed with 1 part of denatured alcohol). It is hard to see, but you can tell it is a bit shinier here.
We decided to miter the top as well to keep all of the "top" pieces uniform (meaning everything bolted to the top of the keezer was mitered, everything on the bottom was not).
Here's how we are sealing the back. Those with sharp eyes will notice this is oak and not birch, but we had a spare piece of oak plywood and figured you wouldn't ever see it, so no reason to spend more money (and worse yet, another trip to the store) to have the back made of birch.
Annnnd here's a couple shots after the first coat of stain. I'm using General Finishes Georgian Cherry gel stain.
That's all for now. The staining process is going slow, it probably took me 3.5 hours to do the first coat. I did it all in one session too and won't be doing that again...I did the 2nd coat on the top parts tonight and will get the 2nd coat tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll need at least 3 coats, maybe 4 according to how my test pieces stained.
Hit me up with any questions!