Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Making a 2 Gallon Mini MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
Ninkasi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Making a 2 Gallon Mini MLT

Ok,

Here is a parts list for a 2 gallon mini mash/lauter tun that I put together. I'm sure it would work for a 3 gallon cooler as well. The cooler was purchased from Target for $9.99. All the parts came from Home Depot and are the "Watts" brand. Use any equivalent in your area. All sizes are 3/8 inch. I will describe the parts for those people who are not familiar with this stuff...like me!:

You will notice a white seal pushed flush against the inside of the cooler on this second picture. It was part of the original cooler set up. After I screwed off the plastic nozzle I left this piece on. If your cooler has this, I would suggest keeping it there. It is a part of the cooler's original seal:

The parts are listed in order starting from the outside:

1. Watts A-294: Barb to MIP Adapter (the piece that screws into the valve) = $2.10
2. 3/8" Brass Valve (with 2 female ends to screw the fittings into) The most "expensive" part at just over $6.
3. Watts A-785: Brass Pipe Nipple. You can't see it from the pictures. It's what connects the valve to the other adapter on the inside of the cooler. = $1.52
4. A washer that will go over the nipple on the outside of the cooler...whatever size will fit for your setup. = $0.25
5. Another washer on the inside. = $0.25
6. Watts A-298: Barb to FIP Adapter. It screws into the nipple. You can't see the actual barb from my picture. It is covered by the SS braid. = $2.33
7. Watts FloodSafe Auto Shutoff Connector: you can use ANY SS braid that will fit inside your cooler. I picked this one beause the braids were so tight I thought it would give me a clean vorlauf/sparge...it did! = $4.69
8. A little clamp to tighten the SS braid to the barb. = $0.79

I also cut a very small piece of siphon tubing and put it on the inside barb before I slid the SS braid over the top and clamped it down....I wanted to give the clamp something to "grab".

Also, don't forget some thread seal tape (only $0.99) for any spots where you screw pieces together.

If you need to there is no shame in bringing your cooler right into the hardware store with you. I did to make sure everything looked right...probably saved myself a trip or two. You don't look as silly carrying a 2 gallon cooler compared to a 5-10 gallon all grain cooler (although, I will probably do that as well when the time comes).

The entire project cost me ~$30, which will more than pay for itself after just a few partial-mash brews...how? 1 lb. of grain at my LHBS = $1.50. 1 lb. of DME = $4.50 (granted, its not a 1:1 ratio, but savings are still an immediate result). This is a great way for extract brewers to start enjoying the variety and benefits of grains during a brew session without needing all the equipment/space to jump immediately into all grain. To read more about the joys of mini-mashing, read the lengthy "Mini Mash For Extract Brewers" Thread here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805

Good Luck.

Secondary: PM Oatmeal Stout

Bottled: 1st Partial-Mash (IPA), Cletus' Slackjawed Yokel "Eye Pee Eh", Smarmy Marmot Kolsh, Bunson and Beaker Bock

Up next: World Domination
BikerBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
TRNDRVR
Recipes 

Thanks for this post.

I took your parts list to Home Depot and bought all the parts you listed and made one out of a 3 gallon cooler. Going to try it this weekend.

Thanks again!
Dan.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
Ninkasi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNDRVR
Thanks for this post.

I took your parts list to Home Depot and bought all the parts you listed and made one out of a 3 gallon cooler. Going to try it this weekend.

Thanks again!
Dan.
Awesome TRNDRVR! Please let everyone know how your first PM goes.

Bottled: 1st Partial-Mash (IPA), Cletus' Slackjawed Yokel "Eye Pee Eh", Smarmy Marmot Kolsh, Bunson and Beaker Bock

Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Great job with the post! I'm thinking about modifying mine with your plan. Looks great.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ninkasi...

I picked up most of my stuff but had a question...

Does "5. Another washer on the inside. = $0.25" & "8. A little clamp to tighten the SS braid to the barb. = $0.79" have to be stainless steel?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Anything that is in contact with wort needs to be stainless, brass, or copper - NOT GALVANIZED. Galvanized will leech zinc into the wort - a very, very bad thing. The biggest issue I had putting this together was finding a SS washer the right size; I ended up making one out of a piece of plastic, I simply could not find one big enough. You can find SS hose clamps pretty easily, though, in the plumbing section of HD/Lowes.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Ninkasi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregar
Ninkasi...

Does "5. Another washer on the inside. = $0.25" & "8. A little clamp to tighten the SS braid to the barb. = $0.79" have to be stainless steel?
Very interesting question, Cregar...

I will have to defer to the experts on this one. I believe the_bird is correct in saying that leeching of zinc from galvanized parts is possible but you should be able to find items that are stainless steel or plastic.

Now...I asked my LHBS owner about this. His response to me was that at a 1 hour rest in an MLT there really shouldn't be any concern. He told me that if there was a low quality, galvanized item in a fermenter, however, you should be concerned. My local guy also said DO NOT use any harsh chemicals to clean those internal parts. Basically, he employs a "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew" approach about such a concern. Again, if someone does have a concern, other pieces can be used, as the_bird described, to eleviate any worries.

I would like to here others chim in on this subject however. It's a very interesting question, especially when we are talking about mini-mashes.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I'm glad someone posted the parts. Today I decided I needed to build the same thing. I've got 2.25 lbs of grain that will eventually be an intentional gallon of malt vinegar. I just don't want to use my regular MLT for it. I already have the 2 gallon cooler, just need the braid and other guts to it. Hopefully I can do it all tonight.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

I have all the parts! Building now...

-edit- I decided to go with a neoprene washer on the inside. I hav to cut it to fit, though

Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Last edited by Brewsmith; 01-16-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Holds water...

My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Quick Reply