Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > magnets & brackets for drip tray

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
mcubed45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default magnets & brackets for drip tray

i'm looking at using this drip tray for my keezer build:

http://barsupplies.com/stainless-ste...ray-p-349.html

how many brackets/magnets and what sizes do you need to securely mount the tray to the keezer so it's strong enough to support a full glass or two? i do not want to modify/alter the freezer's surface so the brackets will need to be mounted only via magnets.

there's quite a selection on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Magcraft-NSN06...8062064&sr=1-5

what sizes/amounts have people have had success with? i'm guessing you want to maximize your surface area with wide brackets and large magnets?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 907 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The 1" round are out of stock but they have the 7/8". I'd be pretty confident two per bracket would work fine. Mount two towards the top of the bracket, then add a rubber bumper at the bottom of the bracket to space it out 1/8". Rare earth magnets are magically strong. 1 minute epoxy to mate the magnets to any shelf bracket you like. I'd hold the tray to the brackets with velcro so you can remove it easily for washing.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I bought the same thing. I bought 1 1/2 inch magnets with a casing and a hole in them at Northern Tool for 1.99 a piece. then I bought an elbow bracket at a hardware store to link the drip tray to the magnet.

One thing you will have to do is drill through the drip tray. Not an easy task as this is made from seriously strong SS. You need to buy a cobalt drill bit and you need to drill sloooowwww. Like 0.5 revs/sec and be patient. If you start to drill fast, the heat created will actually harden the steel and make your job very difficult. Best to do it with a drill press but I drilled through it with a hand drill and used my tailgate as a work bench, so it can be done ghetto-style.

Once I drilled through, I used a neoprene washer to make the hole drip-proof and used machine screws to connect the thing together. Using the larger magnets adds some stability to the tray but I would not risk it holding more than a full pint as the torque from the drip tray extending a few inches away from the fulcrum is enough to break the magnetic force. I will post pics of the project when I get home today.

Good luck, and for the price, there is no better drip tray. Especially when you see the prices at the online homebrew stores.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 907 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Why screw the tray to the bracket. It just has to sit on top and if you're worried about it sliding, velcro.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
mcubed45
Recipes 

are any brackets made of ferrous metals? I was thinking a magnet in the drip tray would make it easy to attach the tray to the bracket.

thanks for all the feedback so far.

did you guys just go with 2 brackets? it's a pretty wide tray so it wouldn't look too bad with more if necessary. the more brackets, lower the load per bracket. i'm planning on painting them black to match the freezer also.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
fugazzi
Recipes 

I used 3 of the magnetic welding holders from Harbor Freight. I also cut some strips of metal from a tin can and taped them on the bottom of the drip tray so it would hold to the magnet.

The strips don't really hold that well, but they keep it from falling off if it gets bumped by someone's leg or something. As to holding full glasses, i'll probably hold 2 full glasses, but I don't ever just let glasses sit on it. If you have a tendency to do that, I would suggest something a little more sturdy.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Why screw the tray to the bracket. It just has to sit on top and if you're worried about it sliding, velcro.
He doesn't have to bracket anything he doesn't want to. I was just telling what I did. The whole drip tray separates as one unit, it makes emptying and cleaning pretty easy since you dont have to worry about repeated velcro pulling or the adhesive wearing off over time.

But Im sure velcro will work fine for some, I just wanted something a little sturdier.

Heres the front, back and top of the brackets I made. Best of luck to you.
dscn0112.jpg

dscn0113.jpg

dscn0117.jpg

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed45 View Post
i'm looking at using this drip tray for my keezer build:

http://barsupplies.com/stainless-ste...ray-p-349.html

how many brackets/magnets and what sizes do you need to securely mount the tray to the keezer so it's strong enough to support a full glass or two? i do not want to modify/alter the freezer's surface so the brackets will need to be mounted only via magnets.

there's quite a selection on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Magcraft-NSN06...8062064&sr=1-5

what sizes/amounts have people have had success with? i'm guessing you want to maximize your surface area with wide brackets and large magnets?
That is exactly the drip tray that I am using. I built a wood shelf and attached 9 hard drive magnets. It will hold 5 full bottles of beer. I have been using it for over a year now and so far I haven't had any problems with it.
k09.jpg   k10.jpg   k11.jpg  

Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i used some 3M double sided automotive tape. Could hold an entire full pitcher without any issue. The drip tray itself was flexing a bit, but the tape held solid. Was a bitch to remove in the end when i converted that keezer into a fermentation chamber.

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 12-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know it is an old dead thread. Nonetheless, I figured I would take a chance and see if OP has advice for someone in the same boat today? What ended up working best?

Quick Reply