magnets & brackets for drip tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcubed45

Reaction score
i'm looking at using this drip tray for my keezer build:

http://barsupplies.com/stainless-steel-drip-tray-p-349.html

how many brackets/magnets and what sizes do you need to securely mount the tray to the keezer so it's strong enough to support a full glass or two? i do not want to modify/alter the freezer's surface so the brackets will need to be mounted only via magnets.

there's quite a selection on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SO4L4E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

what sizes/amounts have people have had success with? i'm guessing you want to maximize your surface area with wide brackets and large magnets?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1" round are out of stock but they have the 7/8". I'd be pretty confident two per bracket would work fine. Mount two towards the top of the bracket, then add a rubber bumper at the bottom of the bracket to space it out 1/8". Rare earth magnets are magically strong. 1 minute epoxy to mate the magnets to any shelf bracket you like. I'd hold the tray to the brackets with velcro so you can remove it easily for washing.

I bought the same thing. I bought 1 1/2 inch magnets with a casing and a hole in them at Northern Tool for 1.99 a piece. then I bought an elbow bracket at a hardware store to link the drip tray to the magnet.

One thing you will have to do is drill through the drip tray. Not an easy task as this is made from seriously strong SS. You need to buy a cobalt drill bit and you need to drill sloooowwww. Like 0.5 revs/sec and be patient. If you start to drill fast, the heat created will actually harden the steel and make your job very difficult. Best to do it with a drill press but I drilled through it with a hand drill and used my tailgate as a work bench, so it can be done ghetto-style.

Once I drilled through, I used a neoprene washer to make the hole drip-proof and used machine screws to connect the thing together. Using the larger magnets adds some stability to the tray but I would not risk it holding more than a full pint as the torque from the drip tray extending a few inches away from the fulcrum is enough to break the magnetic force. I will post pics of the project when I get home today.

Good luck, and for the price, there is no better drip tray. Especially when you see the prices at the online homebrew stores.
-Jefe-

are any brackets made of ferrous metals? I was thinking a magnet in the drip tray would make it easy to attach the tray to the bracket.

thanks for all the feedback so far.

did you guys just go with 2 brackets? it's a pretty wide tray so it wouldn't look too bad with more if necessary. the more brackets, lower the load per bracket. i'm planning on painting them black to match the freezer also.

I used 3 of the magnetic welding holders from Harbor Freight. I also cut some strips of metal from a tin can and taped them on the bottom of the drip tray so it would hold to the magnet.

The strips don't really hold that well, but they keep it from falling off if it gets bumped by someone's leg or something. As to holding full glasses, i'll probably hold 2 full glasses, but I don't ever just let glasses sit on it. If you have a tendency to do that, I would suggest something a little more sturdy.

Why screw the tray to the bracket. It just has to sit on top and if you're worried about it sliding, velcro.

He doesn't have to bracket anything he doesn't want to. I was just telling what I did. The whole drip tray separates as one unit, it makes emptying and cleaning pretty easy since you dont have to worry about repeated velcro pulling or the adhesive wearing off over time.

But Im sure velcro will work fine for some, I just wanted something a little sturdier.

Heres the front, back and top of the brackets I made. Best of luck to you.
DSCN0112.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

i'm looking at using this drip tray for my keezer build:

http://barsupplies.com/stainless-steel-drip-tray-p-349.html

how many brackets/magnets and what sizes do you need to securely mount the tray to the keezer so it's strong enough to support a full glass or two? i do not want to modify/alter the freezer's surface so the brackets will need to be mounted only via magnets.

there's quite a selection on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SO4L4E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

what sizes/amounts have people have had success with? i'm guessing you want to maximize your surface area with wide brackets and large magnets?

That is exactly the drip tray that I am using. I built a wood shelf and attached 9 hard drive magnets. It will hold 5 full bottles of beer. I have been using it for over a year now and so far I haven't had any problems with it.

K09.jpg

K10.jpg

K11.jpg

i used some 3M double sided automotive tape. Could hold an entire full pitcher without any issue. The drip tray itself was flexing a bit, but the tape held solid. Was a ***** to remove in the end when i converted that keezer into a fermentation chamber.

I know it is an old dead thread. Nonetheless, I figured I would take a chance and see if OP has advice for someone in the same boat today? What ended up working best?

Bummer. It is beautiful.

Thanks, I think it turned out alright considering it got built in an apartment kitchen. Needless to say, the GF was NOT happy with me running a 12" sliding compound miter saw in the kitchen :) I kept telling her I'd keep beers on tap she liked during the build. Complaining stopped after the 1st couple pints.

I probably should get a couple pics with a good camera sometime...

Magnets came from Harbor Freight, I think these are the same thing via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYO97I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've had 4 full pints on it. These magnets are strong, they actually pull the tray out of my hands when I get within an inch or so.

Seems like this would work,

http://m.harborfreight.com/50mm-round-magnet-96651.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

they have three sizes available and are cheaper than on amazon. The 40mm has a 15lbs magnetic pull for 1.99 each, the 50mm has a 25 lbs for 2.99 & the 66mm has a 95lbs for 4.99.

I have a 19" drip tray and plan to build a sweet mounting box like yours . Which ones should I buy?

For those of you who painted your keezer black, do any of you have problems with strong magnets scratching the paint?

For those of you who painted your keezer black, do any of you have problems with strong magnets scratching the paint?

I did, I have to repaint mine, I found it was due to moving the drip tray around attached to the keezer so that was my own fault. I may try to put a thin layer of cloth on my next magnet set

On my painted keezer, you can definitely see where the 3 magnets have made contact: when the tray is removed. My drip tray has only been removed twice, I just put it back where it originally was so the circle marks the magnets made do not show.

Back