Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > made my own BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What sized basket do you all use for your keggles?

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I made a single layer bag from polyester voile from Walmart. I double stitched my seams (once straight, once zig-zag). It's holding up just fine and has been used for several 20+ lb grain bills. I don't use a basket, handles, etc. - I just pick it up and drop it in my strainer bucket.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bag looks awesome. I might have to invest in sewing my curtain. Did you have a sewing machine?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i do have a sewing machine. mine was a $5 sheer voile curtain from the dollar general store. i didn't use nylon thread though. i read over on biabbrewerinfo.com that polyester was a good thread. i'll try to pick up some nylon tomorrow and go over everything again.

i have a pulley and rope system ready, and will likely use the ladder/2x4 approach. i'm planning to brew the lake walk pale ale on saturday - shooting for 70%.

i went BIAB to save some time. cleaning out the cooler and heating sparge water was killing me. my wife is about to have a baby, so i am concerned about shortening brew day.

newby

Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinback View Post
i do have a sewing machine. mine was a $5 sheer voile curtain from the dollar general store. i didn't use nylon thread though. i read over on biabbrewerinfo.com that polyester was a good thread. i'll try to pick up some nylon tomorrow and go over everything again.

i have a pulley and rope system ready, and will likely use the ladder/2x4 approach. i'm planning to brew the lake walk pale ale on saturday - shooting for 70%.

i went BIAB to save some time. cleaning out the cooler and heating sparge water was killing me. my wife is about to have a baby, so i am concerned about shortening brew day.
poly thread will work.. just making sure it wasn't cotton thread. Nylon is better than poly but at least poly won't rot like cotton and fall apart while mashing

double crush those grains!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I regularly do 20-23 lb 10g biab. I normally have a friend to help lift it out, otherwise I drain off a good bit of the wort into a bucket so I don't have to lift/hold the bag as high. As someone else said the biggest problem is fitting the bag through the keg opening and mine is cut 12" or so.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so we did 23 lb grain bill for an oatmeal stout. had a solid mash temp for an hour and squeezed the bag and let it drip for about 10 min, but really feel like i should have done a sparge of some sort. the wort coming out of the squeeze was SO sticky...it really needed a legit rinse, but i was too lazy to have heated up the second vessel. the bag didn't have enough of the truncated dome shape to make the extraction easy with the keggle 12.5" opening...but we got it out eventually. i highly recommend the use of neoprene gloves for any brewing. the efficiency was right on where i expected it..70%. i crushed my own grain with the corona mill and really should have milled it a touch finer, it would have made me feel better about the whole process. the bag held together great all in all.

i gave the bag away to the fellow i split the brew with so that he can get started in all grain.

i may try to make another bag for my 5 gallon batches and make it more of a truncated dome. also, don't buy the cheap walmart pulley. get a GOOD pulley. otherwise, i think i'll stick to the cooler MLT i have and work on nailing down that process. but i'm glad i have tried it for now.

newby

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

the more I think about it... for BIAB cutting the keg along the top weld around until you get to the handles and then going up on both sides to leave handles would work better. it would open the top up a LOT making bag extraction easy and still leave handles to carry the keggle.. like in this video

Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #19
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with that very much so.

newby

Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your bag looks good, I would suggest a much finer stitch, like 20/inch zig zag...I also like to run it through the machine twice till the stitch is almost thread to thread with 40-50 stitches per inch, this way the seam will be as strong a the voile material and will be almost indestructable. A well stitched bag should easily hold 40 lbs of grain and likely double that amount IMO.

I believe poly thread is the correct recommended material. Poly thread is quite strong and long lasting...perhaps not as strong as nylon, but with a very fine stitch it is very strong.

Perhaps a heavily tapered bag with a very narrow bottom would help for extracting the bag out of a narrow cut keggle.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply