Made a Hop Basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c12h22o11dude

Reaction score
Instead of going through a bunch a bags each brew, I was looking for something re-usable. The herb balls didn't last too long. Pretty simple to make. 1/2" thick ends, SS screen, SS all thread, ans nuts.

IMG-20120321-00138.jpg

I love this and it looks simple....but that said I can't figure out how to make it, do you have more details?

My idea is to build a couple of these to weigh out each hop addition then drop them at the appropriate time. I will get some other pics dis-assembled.

I would also like to know a cost and to see exploded version or steps to make it.

The screen is from Grainger, SS 1/4-20 all-thread, nut, and wing nut from hardware store. 2 3/4" diameter 1/2" wide aluminum from local metal supply. Faced each 1/2" thick aluminum on the lathe, then cut a "seat" the same diameter as the screen (1/8" larger), 1/4" deep. I am going to use a small amount of 400F silicone to keep the screen in the bottom plate.
The bottom plate is not drilled through but tapped 1/4-20. a nut keeps the all-thread tight in the bottom plate.
The top plate is drilled through 1/64 larger than the all-thread. Wing nut holds it together.
I may have to play with the screen mesh size, but I think it will work.

IMG-20120322-00139.jpg

About how many ounces of pellet or whole do you think you can hold in there?

The screen is 2 1/4" x 5 7/16" so I think it will hold a coule ounces. I use hop pellets and once they swell I will see. I can always cut the length down if it is tooo much wasted space.

You could always buy 2 sizes of aluminum:
one 2 1/4" O.D.
one 2 3/4" O.D.
then sandwich them together, that would give good support.

I don't have a laithe but once you know a good final size I do have 30$ plus shipping... eh?

I have been looking for something reusable for my hops. I don't like the resuable bags and all the herb balls I find are tiny, plus you said they don't last very long whereas I see this thing taking some use.

The screen is 2 1/4" x 5 7/16" so I think it will hold a coule ounces. I use hop pellets and once they swell I will see. I can always cut the length down if it is tooo much wasted space.

You could always buy 2 sizes of aluminum:
one 2 1/4" O.D.
one 2 3/4" O.D.
then sandwich them together, that would give good support.

I wouldn't be worried about having too much space. You want plenty of space for the hops to be turbulent with the boil. I would be concerned about having NOT ENOUGH space once the hops swell. You need them to be free floating in that thing.

Back