LPG Brutus Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmurray

Reaction score
I'm trying to locate the parts to build my Brutus and have one question that just seems to baffle me.

I know on the plans for the Brutus 10 the gas lines are 1/2" and the ASCO valves are SS 1/2" valves.

Question 1: Why 1/2"? The line from my 30psi regulator is 3/8"... so couldn't I just run 3/8" pipe and use 3/8" ASCO Valves?

Question 2: What is the differnce between these 2 valves? Is one LPG safe and the other not? The top one looks like the one used in the original Brutus set up... Is the second one not safe?
!Bt1BNd!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKi4EvPuvufdVBL9o54FyVg~~_3.JPG

!CBfjH4!Bmk~$(KGrHqF,!lsEz+4J5i0DBNH8,LWT2Q~~_12.JPG

I'm trying to locate the parts to build my Brutus and have one question that just seems to baffle me.

I know on the plans for the Brutus 10 the gas lines are 1/2" and the ASCO valves are SS 1/2" valves.

Question 1: Why 1/2"? The line from my 30psi regulator is 3/8"... so couldn't I just run 3/8" pipe and use 3/8" ASCO Valves?

Question 2: What is the differnce between these 2 valves? Is one LPG safe and the other not? The top one looks like the one used in the original Brutus set up... Is the second one not safe?

Lonnie used 1/2" ASCO valves (and therefore 1/2" lines) because he picked them up on ebay for cheap (as did I). 3/8" is just as good.

It is LPG safe and perfect to use in this application - both of them. It doesn't make a difference if it's angled or not. This is a trivial question, but what's the model number for the first one?

You're on the right track. Keep it up. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. It's best to ask as much as you can.

Both are on eBay... the first one was a 8030G016 and the second a 8210G001...

I saw where he got them on ebay and that's why I went there to look. The 1/2" one seem to be a hot commodity which is what got me thinking about the 3/8" ones... Not to belabor the point but what about using 1/4"? (they say they have a 3/32" orifice) The reason I ask is they are selling these by the Lot pretty cheap!

Also, I under stand ASCO is a reputable company, but what would your opinion be on these?
!B-2LcNgBGk~$(KGrHqEOKicEzP9,yYK+BM949EOGQw~~_12.JPG

They are far cheaper @ $19.95 each

Because the regulator is 3/8", I would not go smaller. I have no evidence to back this up - just speculation.

Almost all the info you need on ASCO valves is in this catalog.

I agree though that there are way cheaper solenoid valves on eBay that will work just as well for your application. However, if you're patient, you can find ASCO valves for really cheap. That's what I did. A couple times, actually.

Ok thanks... I'll look for either 3/8" or 1/2".... I'd like to have 2 of the same model which makes it a little harder!

I'll keep watching ebay.

Not to belabor the point but what about using 1/4"? (they say they have a 3/32" orifice) The reason I ask is they are selling these by the Lot pretty cheap!

I'm using 3/8" pipe for my gas supply line to the solenoid valve. There's no reason that you could not go down to 1/4". The exception might be if you are running natural gas where the pressure is so low that a large pipe diameter may be called for and especially so if running multiple burners. This should not be an issue with propane. The main reason that the turkey fryers use a large hose is for safety and durability. A larger hose is physically stronger than an equivalent small diameter hose and it would also be more visible and reduce the chance of someone tripping over it, blah, blah, blah. Look at the tiny gas orifice and it quickly becomes obvious that the piping is generally way larger than it needs to be.

This is my source for solenoid valves: http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects

Quality valves at good prices IMO.

I just realized that the LPG gas for my brewstand goes through 3/8" OD copper tubing which has 1/4" ID. Same as 1/4" pipe.

So actually I do have evidence to back this up, but I just spaced it earlier. :drunk:

I'm just beginning to plumb my stand and also wondering about pipe diameter. I'm using low pressure propane (ten inch banjo burners) and was planning on using 3/8" OD copper from the solenoid to the burners. Am I correct to understand that this would be adequate, given I won't be using more than two burners at once.

Thanks!

I'm just beginning to plumb my stand and also wondering about pipe diameter. I'm using low pressure propane (ten inch banjo burners) and was planning on using 3/8" OD copper from the solenoid to the burners. Am I correct to understand that this would be adequate, given I won't be using more than two burners at once.

Thanks!

Yes, you are. That is what I'm doing on my brewstand.

Back