New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Low Cost Cooling Tank.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Cakehole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low Cost Cooling Tank.

After reading a bunch of posts about using different methods to keep fermenting products cool, I decided to use a few things I had around the garage and make a cooling tub for less than $20. Note, cost will be more if you do not have the plastic tubs.

One more thing, I took these pictures after I built the cooler. Of course I was not thinking about step by step pictures as I was making it.

I took 2 of the empty plastic tubs and stacked them together. I figured that having 2 tubs would keep the isulation from getting wet from any condensation. I know I live in New Mexico with a relative humidity below 20% all the time, but I figured better safe than soggy.

Here is a pic of the tub I am talking about. Please forgive me about the BGE on cinderblocks, working on building a table, just taking longer than I thought..

I wrapped the tub with some of that pink insulation. I got the roll at Home Depot for about $13. I used duck tape to fasten it to the tub.

I grabbed a partial sheet of foam insulation at HD for $5 and cut it out to make a lid. I cut a single hole in the lid to let my airlock poke through.

So, total cost was $18 because I had 2 plastic tubs in the garage allready.

Fill with cool water until your carboy almost wants to float and add your ice bottles. My water temp from the hose is about 83 degrees. It did take about 8, 20-ounce ice bottles to cool below 70 degrees. After the initial cooling, I only use 2 or 3 ice bottles a day n ow.

Here is the final product:

Primary #1: Blonde Ambition Ale Primary #2: nada
Secondary #1:Cake's Stout Secondary #2: Empty
Keg: #1: Ed's Apfelwein #2: Killian's Irish Red Clone #3: Orfy's Hobgoblin II #4: Cream Soda ( for the kiddo )

Last edited by Cakehole; 08-01-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Cakehole
Recipes 

So, does it work?

Here is a pic of the digital thermometer I have in the water. Holding rock steady at 63 degrees. Note the cool, liquid-free airlock. I grabbed a couple from Midwest ( I think ) because I figured that having to remember to keep the airlock full of liquid during a long ferment would be beyond my feeble mind. It seems to work perfectly for a slow fermenting product like Apfelwein.

This thing might work too well. I am using frozen Coke plastic bottles, 20 ouncers, to keep things cool.

Average daytime temps are in the 95-100 degree range. I use one ice bottle in the am, one around 1400 and a third right before bed.

I am having issues keeping the temp above 63 degrees. Yes, you read correctly. The issue is this thing is almost too cool for good fermentation. I have 5 gallons of Apfelwein in the tub now, slowly bubbling away.

Keg: #1: Ed's Apfelwein #2: Killian's Irish Red Clone #3: Orfy's Hobgoblin II #4: Cream Soda ( for the kiddo )

Last edited by Cakehole; 08-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4525 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You just HAAAAAD to show off the BGE didn't you. This thread is useless now. Who cares about a blue cooling tub where'd ya' get that egg?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Cakehole
Recipes 

I got the egg from Patio and Hearth in Albuquerque. Of course I had to get a few eggcessories ( plate setter, pizza stone, cast iron grate, ash tool, v-rack for ribs, and a bag of BGE charcoal).

simply the best grill/smoker out there, in my opinion.

Did some ribs and they were perfect, did a bunch of chicken, it was perfect. I havea beef brisket in the wings waiting for a free day so it can spend 18 to 20 hours getting to know the BGE.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Try a smaller bottle of ice if its too cold.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4525 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Just bustin your chops. I priced them local and I just can;t pony up the pennies. Spent nearly $600.00 on propane grill 10 years ago and the damned thing limps like hell but just wont die.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Cakehole
Recipes 

My BGE package was right at $800 for everything and I still need to get the table built. They are expensive but worth every penny. I wish there was an Eggfest in Albuquerque. It would have saved me a couple of hundred bucks, but it was deployment money so I figured it was a good excuse to spend the extra.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thats awesome man, thats some cooling power! Do you keep that thing in the garage?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Cakehole
Recipes 

This cooler is on my back porch on the North side of my house. Right outside under an awning. It gets morning sun, and is shaded in the pm. So far Albuquerque temps have been around 95-100 degrees and I am easily keeping temps in the bath at 63ish degrees.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
FEARDIZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

good idea, my ferments are on the warm side, low 70's - doesn't seem to hurt

Oh I saw the thread about Cakehole comming back from the service, good job keeping your head down and comming home safe. Thanks for your service

Primary - Lumpy Dog Brown, Little Sumpin Sumpin

Secondary 1,2,3 -
Bottle conditioning : Apfelwein, Some Oatmeal type summer stout , 3 floyds alpha king clone

Drinking : Centennial Blonde, AHS Anny Blonde Rye

RIP: AHS 20th Anny IPA, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone "Black Sunday Stout"

Planning On Deck -

Quick Reply