Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The Lousy Smarch Coffin Keezer build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodacious View Post
That freaking top looks fantastic. Great job!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #32
brodacious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used ~64 oz of the envirotech, yeah. I bought 64 oz and made a few coaster size test pours since I couldn't find much on embedding grains.

I posted a new thread since I felt like I was thread-jacking Smarch0's!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/yet-...keezer-410305/

Thanks again Smarch0!!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
smarch0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah the top looks awesome, nice job! A very clever use of the epoxy! Thanks for the props and glad I could help, your finished product looks great!

The epoxy I used is shown below, I almost made it with 1 box (1L) or ~32oz for you yanks, but had 1 or 2 spots not quite covered. So I let it dry, then re-poured another layer and it blended seamlessly! So it sounds like 64oz (2L) is the going rate for epoxy tops, final epoxy cost was maybe $90 after taxes.

I would recommend a heat gun for popping bubbles, I tried that and a hair dryer but the heat gun worked much better.

The epoxy I used

[quote=brodacious;5176945]Hey smarch0,

Thanks for posting your build. I ripped it off in damn near every way!
About the only thing I did differently was to use a 2-part pour epoxy on top. I embedded some grains, hops, and a drip tray in the epoxy.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
smarch0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistr25 View Post
The base tile, is that the self-adhesive one?, I saw it at Lowe's. I was thinking of using the same thing. Back splash tile, same type of thing?
If you mean my tile top, yes they are the self adhesive ones. I had to do a lot of "pre-planning" to make them all fit perfect.

They have a black backing so you can't see between them, but at some of the seams you could just barely see the wood. I fixed that by using a sharpie to color the wood black so it is not noticeable

Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #35
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarch0 View Post
If you mean my tile top, yes they are the self adhesive ones. I had to do a lot of "pre-planning" to make them all fit perfect.

They have a black backing so you can't see between them, but at some of the seams you could just barely see the wood. I fixed that by using a sharpie to color the wood black so it is not noticeable
Yeah those are the ones. I may end up using those as my back splash and some black polished stone for the base. I didn't plan the lid around tile, so it'll be fun to cut and make everything fit pretty.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
brodacious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yeah the top looks awesome, nice job! A very clever use of the epoxy! Thanks for the props and glad I could help, your finished product looks great!

The epoxy I used is shown below, I almost made it with 1 box (1L) or ~32oz for you yanks, but had 1 or 2 spots not quite covered. So I let it dry, then re-poured another layer and it blended seamlessly! So it sounds like 64oz (2L) is the going rate for epoxy tops, final epoxy cost was maybe $90 after taxes.

I would recommend a heat gun for popping bubbles, I tried that and a hair dryer but the heat gun worked much better.
Man I didn't even realize you used epoxy also! Looks like I'm even more unoriginal! haha I used a torch on the bubbles which worked well. In the directions on the envirotex it says the C02 pops the bubbles not the heat and you can exhale on them and it will work also. I didn't believe it but the part I exhaled on they all vanished in a cascade which looked super cool. Torch was better for not having to lean over and put your face that close! I also dropped an awesome LED flashlight I had in the epoxy and ruined it

Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
smarch0
Recipes 

Quote:
Man I didn't even realize you used epoxy also! Looks like I'm even more unoriginal! haha I used a torch on the bubbles which worked well. In the directions on the envirotex it says the C02 pops the bubbles not the heat and you can exhale on them and it will work also. I didn't believe it but the part I exhaled on they all vanished in a cascade which looked super cool. Torch was better for not having to lean over and put your face that close! I also dropped an awesome LED flashlight I had in the epoxy and ruined it
It was either epoxy or grout and I saw samples at the store of the metal tile and grout and it just did not look as nice. And as for being "unoriginal" are we not all for the most part copying some one else's idea anyways

And on the topic of LED lights, after seeing your top I had a crazy idea that you could take those LED rope lights or maybe LED light strips and epoxy those into the top!

It would suck if they ever burned out but LED's are supposed to last a long time...right? I'm sure some one could think of an awesome design with lights in the top!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
brodacious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
It was either epoxy or grout and I saw samples at the store of the metal tile and grout and it just did not look as nice. And as for being "unoriginal" are we not all for the most part copying some one else's idea anyways

And on the topic of LED lights, after seeing your top I had a crazy idea that you could take those LED rope lights or maybe LED light strips and epoxy those into the top!

It would suck if they ever burned out but LED's are supposed to last a long time...right? I'm sure some one could think of an awesome design with lights in the top!
That is an awesome idea!
You could line the edge and it would make the entire surface light up I would think! Maybe hide them by overhanging a bit of the surface wood. Man I wish I thought of that!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
smarch0
Recipes 

Quote:
That is an awesome idea!
You could line the edge and it would make the entire surface light up I would think! Maybe hide them by overhanging a bit of the surface wood. Man I wish I thought of that!
Think of it this way, you have plenty of time to think and plan it for the next one

Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #40
cgtweetfreed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

"Put the freezer on the base and reattached the lid. Used 2 auto trunk air shocks I found at PrincessAuto for $10 each! I didn't plan it but the spacing just happen to work out for the shocks to fold in beside the freezer...there was some luck involved in this project"

What was the final measurement of spacing between the freezer and your framing? I am starting to design my own spin-off of your build.

Quick Reply