Loose Shank on Upright Keezer Help Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlchemyBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all of you Keezer Kats!

I just installed two 4 inch shanks into an 18' Upright Keezer. They are going through the door since there are coils on the sides. I can't seem to tighten them up enough because it just keeps compressing the door liner and insulation. I don't want to keep going and completely pinch it down which would kill the R Value in the door. I was thinking about mounting a piece of plywood on the inside but would like to hear what the rest of you think.
  1. How big of a piece of plywood do I need?
  2. What is the best way to attach it to the inside of the door?
  3. Do I need to take off the liner or can I mount right on top?

Thanks for your thoughts. I know the vertical keezer is not done much around here but it had many options for me. The first was it was the quickest way to get keg to glass. Meaning there was no big keezer build required. Second is that with the height I can probably fit 10-12 Cornys in this baby. Lastly, when I convert to a real keezer at some point down the line this will make a great fermentation chamber.

Pics will follow.

without the benefit of pictures, I would guess you'll need to pull the door liner out and use a wood block to get a better (more stable) base for your shank(s). If you really want the liner, how about removing the shanks, poking a measuring tape in the hole and measuring how thick from door skin to liner? That should be about the thickness of the wood block to place between the liner and door.

Just take a piece of say, 1/4" plywood about 6inches tall and wide enough to span the two shanks and extend out to the edges a couple inches. Just make sure your shanks would be long enough to go through it all. The board there should keep it from compressing.

My only reason for not wanting to take off the liner is that it seems that if there is a way to do it with out, that would be preferable. I was too busy drinking on Dad's day to do much of anything with this, except to gently pull the taps repeatedly. I will try and get a photo later when I get home from work.

Thanks for these ideas to start!

there is an easier way. take one of your shanks to the hardware store and find some ridgid plastic or metal tubing that fits over the shank closely, cut it into short tubes the thickness of your door, enlarge the holes in the inner plastic door lining and put it all together. the short tubes will act as extended washers and will give the shank nut someting to tighten down on.

Back