The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Looking for legit kegs in Atlanta.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Looking for legit kegs in Atlanta.

Hey guys, I was hoping some of you Atlantans know where I can find a legitimate source for sanke kegs. I want to build a keggle and maybe a sanke keg fermenter but I want to use a legit keg because I am a good person. If anybody in the Atlanta area knows of a good source of non stolen kegs I would greatly appreciate it. I already called Sweetwater and got a less than friendly "We don't sell our kegs." from them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had luck finding them at used restaurant supply stores. Although I'm not in Atlanta they obviously have them, so drive/call around some of the ones in your area. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me if these used supply stores kegs are legit, but I assume they are.

I've also seen several people mention calling the distributor in your area to see if they have any kegs that are out of commission

Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
ThinkingOutLoud
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Hmm, you might want to try stopping by in person at Sweetwater vs calling. I did a few months ago and was told that they didn't have any at that time, but to check back after their expansion was done since they would likely have a bunch after that from purchasing so many new kegs... Sometimes it's better in person...? BTW their expansion/15th anniversary party is on the 18th. I'll be there!

May the roof over us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post
I've had luck finding them at used restaurant supply stores. Although I'm not in Atlanta they obviously have them, so drive/call around some of the ones in your area. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me if these used supply stores kegs are legit, but I assume they are.

I've also seen several people mention calling the distributor in your area to see if they have any kegs that are out of commission
Yeah I went to the local beer store to ask them who their distributor is. I will probably end up calling them tomorrow and seeing if they can help me out.

And as for Sweetwater, I wish I had known about their 15th anniversary party beforehand. I'll probably be stuck working that day. Maybe if I can find someone to work my shift that day I will show up. I have never been to the Sweetwater brewery before though it has been on my to do list for some time.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
Yeah I went to the local beer store to ask them who their distributor is. I will probably end up calling them tomorrow and seeing if they can help me out.

And as for Sweetwater, I wish I had known about their 15th anniversary party beforehand. I'll probably be stuck working that day. Maybe if I can find someone to work my shift that day I will show up. I have never been to the Sweetwater brewery before though it has been on my to do list for some time.
United is the distributor, but they dont handle our kegs and we really dont give away kegs unless, they are unusable any more, ie dont stand up, do to being bent.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
United is the distributor, but they dont handle our kegs and we really dont give away kegs unless, they are unusable any more, ie dont stand up, do to being bent.
I have a buddy who is big into metal working. I'm sure he could help with a bent out of shape keg. Fortunately though a friend of a friend I found out works for a major distributor so I think I might be able to get my hands on a keg or two.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
ThinkingOutLoud
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Just to be clear, I don't in any way mean to say that anyone should expect a free keg. What I asked for when I went in was to buy a decommissioned keg (ie: unusable otherwise...), so... ya don't go asking for a keg giveaway type deal... breweries have to buy them, so do you...

May the roof over us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutLoud View Post
Just to be clear, I don't in any way mean to say that anyone should expect a free keg. What I asked for when I went in was to buy a decommissioned keg (ie: unusable otherwise...), so... ya don't go asking for a keg giveaway type deal... breweries have to buy them, so do you...
I fully intend to pay for it. I wasn't expecting to get one for free or anything like that. I don't steal and I don't expect handouts. There is something to be said for doing things the proper way and not being a mooch or a thief.

Quick Reply