The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Looking for legit kegs in Atlanta.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, Georgia
Posts: 124
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Looking for legit kegs in Atlanta.

Hey guys, I was hoping some of you Atlantans know where I can find a legitimate source for sanke kegs. I want to build a keggle and maybe a sanke keg fermenter but I want to use a legit keg because I am a good person. If anybody in the Atlanta area knows of a good source of non stolen kegs I would greatly appreciate it. I already called Sweetwater and got a less than friendly "We don't sell our kegs." from them.

__________________
ajohnson153 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Stankonia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 177
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I've had luck finding them at used restaurant supply stores. Although I'm not in Atlanta they obviously have them, so drive/call around some of the ones in your area. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me if these used supply stores kegs are legit, but I assume they are.

I've also seen several people mention calling the distributor in your area to see if they have any kegs that are out of commission

__________________
Stankonia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
ThinkingOutLoud
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ThinkingOutLoud's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Auburn, Georgia
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 6

Default

Hmm, you might want to try stopping by in person at Sweetwater vs calling. I did a few months ago and was told that they didn't have any at that time, but to check back after their expansion was done since they would likely have a bunch after that from purchasing so many new kegs... Sometimes it's better in person...? BTW their expansion/15th anniversary party is on the 18th. I'll be there!

__________________

May the roof over us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out.

ThinkingOutLoud is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, Georgia
Posts: 124
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankonia View Post
I've had luck finding them at used restaurant supply stores. Although I'm not in Atlanta they obviously have them, so drive/call around some of the ones in your area. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me if these used supply stores kegs are legit, but I assume they are.

I've also seen several people mention calling the distributor in your area to see if they have any kegs that are out of commission
Yeah I went to the local beer store to ask them who their distributor is. I will probably end up calling them tomorrow and seeing if they can help me out.

And as for Sweetwater, I wish I had known about their 15th anniversary party beforehand. I'll probably be stuck working that day. Maybe if I can find someone to work my shift that day I will show up. I have never been to the Sweetwater brewery before though it has been on my to do list for some time.
__________________
ajohnson153 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
bh10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In the brewery, USA
Posts: 723
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
Yeah I went to the local beer store to ask them who their distributor is. I will probably end up calling them tomorrow and seeing if they can help me out.

And as for Sweetwater, I wish I had known about their 15th anniversary party beforehand. I'll probably be stuck working that day. Maybe if I can find someone to work my shift that day I will show up. I have never been to the Sweetwater brewery before though it has been on my to do list for some time.
United is the distributor, but they dont handle our kegs and we really dont give away kegs unless, they are unusable any more, ie dont stand up, do to being bent.
__________________
bh10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, Georgia
Posts: 124
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
United is the distributor, but they dont handle our kegs and we really dont give away kegs unless, they are unusable any more, ie dont stand up, do to being bent.
I have a buddy who is big into metal working. I'm sure he could help with a bent out of shape keg. Fortunately though a friend of a friend I found out works for a major distributor so I think I might be able to get my hands on a keg or two.
__________________
ajohnson153 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
ThinkingOutLoud
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ThinkingOutLoud's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Auburn, Georgia
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
United is the distributor, but they dont handle our kegs and we really dont give away kegs unless, they are unusable any more, ie dont stand up, do to being bent.
Just to be clear, I don't in any way mean to say that anyone should expect a free keg. What I asked for when I went in was to buy a decommissioned keg (ie: unusable otherwise...), so... ya don't go asking for a keg giveaway type deal... breweries have to buy them, so do you...
__________________

May the roof over us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out.

ThinkingOutLoud is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, Georgia
Posts: 124
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutLoud View Post
Just to be clear, I don't in any way mean to say that anyone should expect a free keg. What I asked for when I went in was to buy a decommissioned keg (ie: unusable otherwise...), so... ya don't go asking for a keg giveaway type deal... breweries have to buy them, so do you...
I fully intend to pay for it. I wasn't expecting to get one for free or anything like that. I don't steal and I don't expect handouts. There is something to be said for doing things the proper way and not being a mooch or a thief.
__________________
ajohnson153 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need kegs!! VONSEITZ DIY Projects 22 12-29-2011 06:20 PM
3 15.5 kegs DirtyD DIY Projects 11 12-13-2011 09:39 AM
1/2 Kegs upperNY01brewer DIY Projects 15 07-11-2011 11:54 PM
Getting 2 kegs - don't know what to do with them barthautala DIY Projects 15 10-10-2009 05:25 PM
Got 3 kegs paulvp DIY Projects 6 07-09-2008 03:50 AM