New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Looking for Food Safe materials for Mash Ton.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
lpdjshaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogles View Post
Oh wow very nice! Arg Copper! Expensive stuff hehe, how much did the copper manifold cost you roughly?
The shortest length of 1/2" copper I could get was 20' so I made 5 manifolds, so about $20 each + about $10 each for a couple of Dremmel cutoff wheels. I've got two for sale, if you're interested pm me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBYOOJ View Post
Revvy,

This may be true of the particular brand you mentioned, but I have yet to see ratings at all on many of the plastic mash tuns people use. In particular ice chest coolers, these products are not intended for exposure to hot liquid so I don't see why the manufacturer would have any reason to make them safe.

But hey I'd love to be wrong.
Seriously, how off or different do you REALLY think it would be????? You really think that igloo's plastic is going to vary that far from colemans or from Ozark Trails? You think they're going to be so different that you can't just extrapolate that if one MAJOR MANUFACTURERS PLASTIC is ok, then it's pretty well going to be across the board???

Doesn't that fact that MILLIONS of homebrewers for the last 10-20 years have been using them count for ANYTHING?

And in ALL THE TIMES THREADS LIKE THIS HAVE APPEARED (you must realize you're not the first to have asked this) that NO ONE has been able to attribute 1 case of ANYTHING health related to our use of this???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Hypochondriacs Unite!!!

Really how much lead can leach out of the bronze or copper fittings. In the US these were made for use in liquids. Look at the hot water fittings all throughout your house! (unless your house is very new you have copper and brass all over the place. If it is new you have a lot of plastic!)

IMO what is there will come out in the first use and after that it is too deep in the metal to further leach out.

As to plastics, Again anything bad is going to come out in cleaning or the first use. It has been repeatedly posted by people who know that the temperatures used in brewing is no where near enough to be a problem.

Millions of gallons of beer have been brewed using these materials.

If you don't want to use them, that is your decision. What you feel comfortable with is what is most important.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
PTBYOOJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Seriously, how off or different do you REALLY think it would be????? You really think that igloo's plastic is going to vary that far from colemans or from Ozark Trails? You think they're going to be so different that you can't just extrapolate that if one MAJOR MANUFACTURERS PLASTIC is ok, then it's pretty well going to be across the board???

Doesn't that fact that MILLIONS of homebrewers for the last 10-20 years have been using them count for ANYTHING?

And in ALL THE TIMES THREADS LIKE THIS HAVE APPEARED (you must realize you're not the first to have asked this) that NO ONE has been able to attribute 1 case of ANYTHING health related to our use of this???
Hahaha, alright well you are clearly very passionate about plastics, and I am certainly not claiming to be an expert. Just expressing a potential concern that I am obviously not the first to have.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Hahaha, alright well you are clearly very passionate about plastics, and I am certainly not claiming to be an expert. Just expressing a potential concern that I am obviously not the first to have.
It's not that I'm passionate about plastics...I just can't live my life in fear of everything, especially if like I and others have said, MILLIONS of gallons, if not billions of gallons of beer has been made this way.

There's a point where we can ignore the obvious, and wrap ourselves in a bubble. Or say, wtf, the brewers on here tend to be for the most part very intelligent folks, some are even scientists, or professionals in the plastic industry and many of them that I see are doing "X" so therefore, maybe my fear is blocking me from simply doing it.

Our livers are already taking a hit from what we make, so if no one's dying around me, or growing man boobs because they drink beer mashed in a cooler, then maybe my fear is a little irrational.

*shrug*

I just hate to see overweaning fear, blocking folks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

fredthecat Likes This 
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
I'm sure that Revvy is not making this a personal thing directed at you. You are not the first to express this concern. I have only been on this forum since last August and this topic comes up every couple of weeks.

Despite the lack of evidence that anything bad comes from hot temperatures and plastic, and more to the point that the idea has more or less been refuted, it keeps coming up as a concern.

IMO Revvy is only trying to dispel what most feel is an unwarranted concern. Include me among those who feel it is unwarranted.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
Snoogles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Holy balls I wasn't even talking about the cooler lol. Thanks for all the info guys.

Quick Reply