Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Looking to build a Keezer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
MasterShake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking to build a Keezer.

Hey guys, obviously I am new to this site, but I am not new to beer

quick info on my situation. simply I want to build a keezer, i am pretty handy so I think i can pull it off.

here is the problem, I live in Brooklyn in an apt and hence don't brew very often due to the lack of space and difficulty in controlling temperatures( i hope my keezer will sometimes double as a fermentation chiller)

anyway question is..where to get my keg filled with decent beer. Even if i have my homebrew on tap, i wanted to have a 3 keg keezer so i would need to be able to fill the other 2 kegs with something decent.

anybody know a place? or where to start looking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

One option... some breweries use 1/6 bbl kegs that are very similar in size to a corny. They use the standard Sankey tap. Check your local beer seller to see what they can get in this size.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
One option... some breweries use 1/6 bbl kegs that are very similar in size to a corny. They use the standard Sankey tap. Check your local beer seller to see what they can get in this size.
already called, they said they only sell to distributers.

I found a place but they only sell 1/2 kegs, too much for me and expensive..

Old 08-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Smitty025
Recipes 

http://www.kelsoofbrooklyn.com

I remember reading somewhere that they will sell 5 gallon kegs. It can't hurt to ask them. I can't say I've ever had any of their beer though, so I don't know how good it is.

I'm probably moving to Manhattan within the next few months to be closer to school (I live in Nassau now) and I dread having such little space to brew in.

Last edited by Smitty025; 08-07-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
hammer one

Recipes 

Check out some local brewpubs. Usuly when there serving tanks are getting low or they need room for more beer they transfer to kegs. They should have the ability to fill 5gal cornies.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
MasterShake
Recipes 

I wanted to go for a tower design, but I dont want to mess around with a lid. My idea was to create a 10 inch collar and then glue wooden top and connect that to the freezer. The question i have is, would I need to insulate the new collar and top, and what could I insulate it with ?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Hotspur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
I wanted to go for a tower design, but I dont want to mess around with a lid. My idea was to create a 10 inch collar and then glue wooden top and connect that to the freezer. The question i have is, would I need to insulate the new collar and top, and what could I insulate it with ?
When I put a collar onto my chest freezer, I used oak, so that it would be more solid and dense, and then used some of that InsulPink polystyrene from HD/Lowe's. It works pretty well, comes in huge sheets, and you can cut it with a knife.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for the local microbrewery. I live outside Chicago and Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora, IL will fill a corny for $30. That's a hell of a deal when six packs go for about $9. They'll even clean/sanitize it for you if you give them 45 minutes.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjmac View Post
+1 for the local microbrewery. I live outside Chicago and Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora, IL will fill a corny for $30. That's a hell of a deal when six packs go for about $9. They'll even clean/sanitize it for you if you give them 45 minutes.
thanks guys.

Here is a full report. I have contacted my fav regional brewery (Brooklyn Brewery) who directed me to distributors instead. I have found a few distributors but most do 1/2 kegs not 5 gallons. After a bit of searching I found a distributor that claims to fill 5gal kegs with domestic beer..(i hope Budweiser is not considered domestic anymore)

I am still going to call a few micro-brews around here. Bottom line is 1/2 kegs of good beer is not a problem and most distributors carry decent beer in 1/2 kegs. Some do have 1/4 kegs. If anyone is in my neighborhood and is interested I can post the distributors I have been looking at.

my goal now is to purchase a freezer that will be able to house a 1/2 keg and a cornie together with a CO2 tank. Also would 5lb CO2 tank be enough to power 1/2 keg and a cornie. Once I start brewing, I'll probably just have 2 cornies in there. (im scared of anything pressurized, including deodorant..I have a crazy OCD like that )

Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

5lb Co2 will last you 1-2 years no problem
And its safe and easy

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Quick Reply