HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Locating bulkhead on ribbed Rubbermaid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
skifast1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Locating bulkhead on ribbed Rubbermaid

Okay, stop giggling and consider this as a serious question: The ubiquitous Rubbermaid coolers have ribbed exterior shells which doesn't make for a very good mating surface (haha) for bulkheads (assume the spigot is already occupied by the lautering bulkhead). I want to mount a thermowell bulkhead a little up on the side but don't want my mash running down the side of the MLT. Anyone else tackle this puzzle? Could you use some Liquid Wood to fashion a molded flat-surface and drill through it? It doesn't necessarily need to adhere to the MLT, just make a decent enough seal where the surfaces meet.

Pol has a pretty cool means to mount a metal thermometer probe with a rubber stopper, i'm just looking for a more permanent way.

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I thought that the cooler conversions for therms only had a seal on the inside of the cooler for that very reason.

Pol

Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I see, some do have a seal on the outside... hrmm that is a good question! See, the rubber stopper is easier and $40 cheaper I know, some like it fancy.

Pol

Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pol, what kind of thermometer is that, where did you get it?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
I see, some do have a seal on the outside... hrmm that is a good question! See, the rubber stopper is easier and $40 cheaper I know, some like it fancy.

Pol
Actually the more I look at your setup the more I think it's at least as good if not better for this kind of cooler. Just replace the thermometer probe with the thermowell and cinch down (gently) on both sides with compression fittings. Good point by fifelee in your thread about sealing the foam between the shells; I was wondering about that myself.

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't like the designs that require an outside seal because it assumes the liquid can get inside the wall of the cooler. If that's not the case, there's no need for an outer seal.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply