Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Lifting 10+gal kegs/fermentors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I am not going to fill a glass carboy, suspend it from the neck until it is destroyed, while videoing it, just for your edification. No to mention how dangerous it would be to do and expensive.

EVERYTHING I have read on those handles says do not use to lift full carboys.
Then a neck has never snapped on you while using a handle. I was inquiring since I use my handles as handles...no neck snapping. I am seeking first hand knowledge not fear mongering. thanks though.

The op wants to lift 10 gal with out lifting. As far as moving 10 gal without lifting it, I think the options have been mentioned. A lift, pulley, pump or co2. A lift or pulley will still probably require some sort of lifting or sliding.
Using a fridge that front opens will at least make the lift a little shorter. Remember to lift with your back in a jerking motion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Not me, just a bit of searching finds this Table Talk: Five gallons of cider hit the floor | Addison County Independent

Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #23
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Then a neck has never snapped on you while using a handle. I was inquiring since I use my handles as handles...no neck snapping. I am seeking first hand knowledge not fear mongering. thanks though.
I am not fear mongering lol. Not only does it add extra stress to the neck of the carboy, what if the 1 tiny pin/handle fails? That also has happened. I am sure if you look on the internet you will find stories of this very thing.

Personally you can juggle them full of boiling water on a tight rope for all I care. I said what I had to. I warned anyone that is planing to use those handles to move full carboys to try to use something better/safer.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
you can juggle them full of boiling water on a tight rope for all I care.
you're good, I was just putting on my oven mits to do just that. probably no pics though, the dog isn't a very good cameraman.

For the record I don't swing them over my head with the handle. If they are full I just use the handle to pick them up, then put the other arm under the bottom to carry. Too old and stubborn to change. zamial you're ok with me, at least you are using glass and not plastic.

-cheers

Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

This is good info to know... I think I will look into making some type of hoist bag with nylon straps. A draw string to close it around the neck... Heck, it will help keep light out too! old seat belt straps should do the trick!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My conicals have casters on them that even the wife can wheel into the fermentation chamber. Kegging is done by pressurizing the conical with C02 and pushing the beer out of the upper valve, through an inline filter, and into kegs. To fill the fermenter from the boil kettle it just goes through a pump into the bottom valve of the fermenter. My wife is pretty strong, but at 5'3 and 110 pounds, she does not need to lift equipment like that when I'm not home.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
Bean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I know on the pots I use it specifically says not to move them if they have liquid in them. The winch is a good solution so long as you are moving pots like keggles around.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah our pots defiantly require a two man lift. I don't brew without my wife, and she won't brew without me at home, so no one gets hurt.

Quick Reply