Let's see your fermentation chambers for CONICALS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a top freezer fridge go out on me. I'm about to build one with a window A/C. The fridge worked fine, but the freezer was wasted space. Upright freezer would be perfect. Or build one like I am.

I will update some pics of my side by side that I converted. I built a stand inside the fridge and freezer part and will be cutting a hole in it to fit a 15g plastic conical. The freezer side will hold 3- 6g carboys.

Mine's an upright freezer with a Ranco controller and works great. Can fit two 6.5 gallon carboys on the floor and two 5g on the shelf I build(not in picture). I'm entertaining the idea of building a cooler room with an older analog window a/c unit to maintain temps once I get my 10g system finished.

image-1603827781.jpg

I will update some pics of my side by side that I converted. I built a stand inside the fridge and freezer part and will be cutting a hole in it to fit a 15g plastic conical. The freezer side will hold 3- 6g carboys.

That's got to be a pretty big fridge/freezer. I'd love to see some pictures.

Mine's an upright freezer with a Ranco controller and works great. Can fit two 6.5 gallon carboys on the floor and two 5g on the shelf I build(not in picture). I'm entertaining the idea of building a cooler room with an older analog window a/c unit to maintain temps once I get my 10g system finished.

View attachment 130787

Funny i have the same freezer it looks like basically.
It fits my two 8G buckets great. Mines running a self cobbled together BrewPi. I already had an Uno and got a Powerswitch Tail II so i didnt buy any of his BrewPi Arduino boards/etc, i just wired it up myself.

2013-05-31%2014.09.12.jpg

Dont see why you'd need something different for a 10G?

image-3574928476.jpg

We don't have room for anything huge, but it looks nice, Danby beverage fridge and STC-1000.

I use a True (brand) double door cooler that I refurbished and put a Love Temp controller on it. I set it at 10-15 degrees below my targeted ferm temps and use fermwraps to then heat the conicals up to appropriate temp. I find that is better than setting the cooler to fermentation temperature.

cooler2.JPG

yRz1gVe.jpg

Built from a floral cooler taken out of a Kroger store. Three 60 gallon full-drain conicals.

working for kroger corporate that makes me laugh a bit for some reason. But! one wonders, with the $19.99 price tag up top... would you take $15 for the whole thing? joking! haha good job man.

Is the pipe for filling?

When I build one it will either have a ramp or be ground level. Perhaps a pull out shelf that holds the conical. not sold on cip yet.

Is the pipe for filling?

When I build one it will either have a ramp or be ground level. Perhaps a pull out shelf that holds the conical. not sold on cip yet.

No, the pipe at the bottom of each conical is a yeast catcher. The catchers hold 3 quarts and work surprisingly well. I've even done a lager in there and it turned out well.

The shelves each conical sits on do pull out so you can take them out easily.

My uncle owns a winery and has expanded to beer. This is not for a homebrew setup. I don't have enough friends to drink that much beer.

Casey

I use a True (brand) double door cooler that I refurbished and put a Love Temp controller on it. I set it at 10-15 degrees below my targeted ferm temps and use fermwraps to then heat the conicals up to appropriate temp. I find that is better than setting the cooler to fermentation temperature.

View attachment 134401
I really want to find something like this even if it is a single. You said "refurbished" which leads to my question..... How easy are these to work on if I find one that isn't in perfect working order?

Back