Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The Kitchen Sink

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Default The Kitchen Sink

I am knee deep in retrofitting my natural gas fired E-RIMS with automation and re-plumbing with all stainless steel. My brother is an extract brewer who has done a number of "all grain" brews with me and is now interested in an "all grain" system for himself. He has a son in culinary school at Johnson and Wales so he is on a very tight budget. A college buddy of mine is part owner of a resturant supply business and can get me a three bay stainless steel sink for very little money. Since I am automating with a brewtroller I can give my brother my old Auber PID's and a few other diddys. Fortunately my brother lives in our Pop's house who had 200 amp service added before he passed away, so it can be an electric system. My question is this. Could we use a three bay stainless sink as the basis for an electric brewery using one bowl for HLT, one for MLT and one for BK? It would look like the one pictured below:

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Lonnie Mac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I am knee deep in retrofitting my natural gas fired E-RIMS with automation and re-plumbing with all stainless steel. My brother is an extract brewer who has done a number of "all grain" brews with me and is now interested in an "all grain" system for himself. He has a son in culinary school at Johnson and Wales so he is on a very tight budget. A college buddy of mine is part owner of a resturant supply business and can get me a three bay stainless steel sink for very little money. Since I am automating with a brewtroller I can give my brother my old Auber PID's and a few other diddys. Fortunately my brother lives in our Pop's house who had 200 amp service added before he passed away, so it can be an electric system. My question is this. Could we use a three bay stainless sink as the basis for an electric brewery using one bowl for HLT, one for MLT and one for BK? It would look like the one pictured below:

There is no reason this would not work! In fact, this was going to be a Brutus Ten at one time!

Still, there are a LOT of possibilities with something like this. I still have ideas to use a sink like this. Right now, I would like to have at least a one bay just to set it up as a "water station", where I would make my RO water, add what chemicals I might need for the style, and have an electric heating element to pre heat the water, then pump it over for brew day...

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Lilahblossom
Recipes 

would those legs support the weight? OMG what an idea. How would you cover or protect it between brewing?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would be concerned about heat transfer between the HLT and the MLT. Your HLT temperature is going to be higher than your mash temperature and lots of heat is going to keep flowing in from the HLT through that steel wall.

If you got really lucky, the heat loss out the front/back/bottom/top into the atmosphere might be roughly the same as the heat coming in from the HLT. I wouldn't count on it though

Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A thought: If you used the center sink as a sort of water prep station, like Lonnie Mac mentioned, you could use the left sink as your HLT and the right as your MLT. That way the passive heat transfer between the HLT and MLT would be greatly reduced.

You'd need to bring over a separate apparatus to handle the boil, but the nice thing about that would be that after you've transferred the wort to the boil kettle, you could clean out the sinks while the boil is happening. The central sink with a working drain would be amazingly useful.

This sort of setup would lend itself pretty well to a HERMS arrangement, if you ask me. Your HLT and MLT are integral to the structure and a HERMS coil could be hard-plumbed in pretty easily.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Vinic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the results from using a stainless sink for a mlt. It was just about the perfect size for my rig, and draining from the center worked real well. Used spray foam to insulate and plan on sheeting the outside with ss sheeting.

One little tidbit I can pass on, the threads on a sink drain are square and did not want to match well with the 1.5" SS adapter I used. About a half hour of careful work with a honing stone made the threads more like the npt on the 90* adapter.

As far as ReeseAllen's concern, couldn't you just put the HLT on one end, the MLT on the opposite end, brew kettle in the middle? Just covering the brew kettle section during the mash would probably serve to insulate, as few things insulate as well as air.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinic View Post
I like the results from using a stainless sink for a mlt. It was just about the perfect size for my rig, and draining from the center worked real well. Used spray foam to insulate and plan on sheeting the outside with ss sheeting.

One little tidbit I can pass on, the threads on a sink drain are square and did not want to match well with the 1.5" SS adapter I used. About a half hour of careful work with a honing stone made the threads more like the npt on the 90* adapter.

As far as ReeseAllen's concern, couldn't you just put the HLT on one end, the MLT on the opposite end, brew kettle in the middle? Just covering the brew kettle section during the mash would probably serve to insulate, as few things insulate as well as air.
I knew there were others who have used something like this before...

I recall something from many years ago with some system using a three-bay sink for each process. I think there is even one for sale from some company now...

These things are just begging to be made into a brewery!

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh man, I LOVE the possibilities of this! I wonder where I could get one at a decent price around here...

I heart sour beer

Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do the sink tubs share a common wall between them or is there an air pocket between each tub?

sink.gif  

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

you can check out www.acitydiscount.com for commercial sinks. they are somewhere in the $450 range. i also saw a bunch on ebay for as low as $20. they're out there. i'd like to see someone's functioning brewery made from this sink.

it looks as if the tubs share a common wall. http://www.acitydiscount.com/Three-C....71405.1.1.htm

Quick Reply