The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kid Friendly, pretend homebrew kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2748 Times on 2699 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default Kid Friendly, pretend homebrew kit

My wife informed me today that my son told her what he wanted for his birthday in a few weeks. He wants a pretend beer making kit that makes water he can drink Could a father be happier? So I'd really like to put something together that he could play with. It'd be nice if he could add a few "ingredients" and get something different in the end. He's not allowed to have soda and he will tell you this if you offer it to him. His drink list consists of milk, water and occasional juice or capri sun waters. He will be 4 on August 4th so of course I'm not going to turn him lose with a propane burner. I'm thinking something that mixes up powder drink mixes and has some flare to it. He loves all things cooking. Maybe air of some kind for bubbles, stirring/mixing of some sort. I don't want to go overboard and put a bunch of money into it, but it'd be nice to make something fun that he can play with and drag out with me on brew days. I have a small pond pump I don't use for anything any more, miscellaneous ball valves, my old 5G speckled pot, portable CO2 dispenser for the 12 gram canister and a 20oz co2 tank with no hookups. Random tubing leftovers. a 2G igloo cooler not being used for anything. I've got some 1G jugs he can "ferment" in.

Keep in mind he is just turning 4, so a process less than 30 minutes would probably be best

Put your heads together and help me put together a "homebrew" setup for my boy

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
perkins98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm in the same boat. My son turns 4 in October and talks about brewing all the time. I hadn't really put alot of thought into yet but I'm subscribing to this.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Carbonated Kool-ade?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Put a ball valve on the 2 gallon cooler. Maybe some marbles or something that he can pretend are the grain (If small parts are still an issue, put them in a paint strainer and tie it shut.

If you keg, you can put some apple juice into a 2 liter bottle and carbonate it for him. Although, I'm sure his juice consumption will triple.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2748 Times on 2699 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Cool type mixes (with less sugar) are what I'm thinking. Just over complicate the process to make it more fun. He knows grains have to be mashed. We were at a brewery tour a couple weeks ago and he asked the guy if he could some grain. It was a proud moment. So maybe some rice hulls would work to fill that desire without impacting anything.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

This is cool.

Are you familiar with the drink Malta Goya? Many of us use it for making starters.

Here's a blurb on it...

Quote:
Malta drink is a non-alcoholic beverage common in the the Caribbean and Latin America. It is basically unfermented wort. Traditionally, since this was treated as a foodstuff, no adjuncts were added. However, all commercial examples I could find, both in the US and in Cuba now contain Sugar of some kind, generally Molasses but also Cane Sugar. Historically, malta was used as food for children and the sick and has since become a mainstream beverage. Of course, the other soft drink companies have taken market share from Malta, but it is still a very popular drink. I got a prototype malta recipe from a friend in Cuba, and along with John Curtis (another Malta enthusiast), we decided to give it a shot. Here is the result of our Malta experiment.
This entire thread is all about making your own malta drinks...

Malta Drink – Non Alcoholic Malt Beverage from the Caribbean and Latin America

You could make him a little mini mash tun with a 2-3 gallon cooler, like what I use for small batch brewing.

Using the braid from my regular tun in a 2 gallon cooler

Counter Top Ghetto Tier (A little foot stool, my 2 gallon cooler and a graduated bucket in the sink.)

First Runnings

All you're really making is unfermented wort, the trick then is to come up with recipes that are actually tasty. You may have to fortify them with things. If you've ever tasted Malta Goya, to me it's pretty nasty...it's like an unfermented porter. BUT for example if you took malta goya and mixed it with coconut milk it would probably taste great, so in formulating the malt soda recipes, you might need to trick them out with some adjuncts. Even he said in that article that modern commercial malta have some added sweetners and such.

If you really wanted to spoil him, you COULD build him a mini kegorator with one of those 3 gallon corny kegs.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Revvy, can you point me to how you calculate the usage of Malta Goya for starters? I'm curious. Would be far easier for me than hogging the stove for a half hour, then the sink for ice-bath, etc.

/

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Zuljin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3305 Times on 3053 Posts
Likes Given: 213

No soda kind of kills it. Throws root beer right out.

You could get him a juicer and let him do that while you brew.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
No soda kind of kills it. Throws root beer right out.

You could get him a juicer and let him do that while you brew.
eh, carbonated juices and flavored waters would be good. My kids keep begging me to make "soda" even though I told them it would likely be carbonated sugar-free juice or flavored water. they just want their own "special drink".

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Take room temp Malta Goya, add yeast = Starter.

As for the brewery, I am thinking tea. Substitute loose leaf tea for grist and hops. Green tea for hops any other tea for grist (they do have barley teas). Let him experiment with combinations for something drinkable. Use hot tap water for Infusion mashing.

Quick Reply