Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > kick-a$$ fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
TexasStu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

LOL! 7.925 vs. 8 Gal.... ok, you win!

Owner/Operator of Stupour Brewing

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Coopers Australian Pale Ale
Secondary Keg (room temp.):
Kegged:
Bottled: AHS Blue Moon Belgian White
On Deck: "Cascading Coopers Pale Ale"
& All-In! Winner's Choice Pale Ale.
2009 Total gallons = 53

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
Patton191
Recipes 

I use the aqua tainer and I have only made one batch so far, but it seems to clean relatively easily. I only brew 5 gallons and as I watched the foam it only went up about an inch which is atleast 5-6 inches from the handle.

It worked very well and the beer tastes very good now, but I will have to get back to you all once I make a second batch in it.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #23
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton191 View Post
I use the aqua tainer and I have only made one batch so far, but it seems to clean relatively easily. I only brew 5 gallons and as I watched the foam it only went up about an inch which is atleast 5-6 inches from the handle.

It worked very well and the beer tastes very good now, but I will have to get back to you all once I make a second batch in it.
I got my Oatmeal Stout in one and Ed's devils-brew is the other.... for my stainless Primary's I just leave them in Primary until they are done... with the Aqua-Tainer I will likely move to a corny-secondary after 7-10 days.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 AM   #24
Patton191
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
I got my Oatmeal Stout in one and Ed's devils-brew is the other.... for my stainless Primary's I just leave them in Primary until they are done... with the Aqua-Tainer I will likely move to a corny-secondary after 7-10 days.
I'm assuming ( I'm normally wrong) that you are doing this because you have the fear of oxidation? I am by now means experienced in brewing, but it seems that the whole oxygen permeability idea with plastic isn't very plausible.

Now this is just me thinking out loud here, but it seems that if you have liquid in a container and there is oxygen in the room it still won't be able to get in. It seems to me that the air would be equalized and unless somehow the aquatainer started sucking in air I don't think oxygen would necessarily flow through the brew.

Basically what I am saying is in my mind the oxygen permeability fear is hogwash. It is like when a car gets submersed in water, the pressure inside the car is less than outside in the water, so water will attempt to rush in in order to equalize it.

For the record I left my Red ale in the aqua tainer for 3 weeks and around 4 days and I tasted one after a week in conditioning and I couldn't notice any hints of cardboard or off flavor, but if you wanted to secondary after 10 days that would be fine too.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #25
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton191 View Post
I'm assuming ( I'm normally wrong) that you are doing this because you have the fear of oxidation? I am by now means experienced in brewing, but it seems that the whole oxygen permeability idea with plastic isn't very plausible.

Now this is just me thinking out loud here, but it seems that if you have liquid in a container and there is oxygen in the room it still won't be able to get in. It seems to me that the air would be equalized and unless somehow the aquatainer started sucking in air I don't think oxygen would necessarily flow through the brew.

Basically what I am saying is in my mind the oxygen permeability fear is hogwash. It is like when a car gets submersed in water, the pressure inside the car is less than outside in the water, so water will attempt to rush in in order to equalize it.
You'd think, but that's not how it works. If you have a permeable container that's pressurized with CO2, oxygen will continue to enter until the concentration of O2 inside matches that outside (even though the total pressure inside is much higher than outside).

It's called "Dalton's law" or "the law of partial pressures" if you want to google for more info. 1st semester college physics covers it.

That said, I think the oxygenation concerns are overblown simply because the level of permeability is tiny (and probably dwarfed by the exchange even at a well-sealed neck).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #26
Patton191
Recipes 

,But since you aerated the wort wouldn't the amount of oxygen in the brew be similar to the amount outside the container?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
rmchair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, I am using this aquatainer thing as a secondary, well because I didn't have anything else and I just got it from wallyville and my 5g glass carboy was a mess after three days. So my question is since I put 5 gallons in there, does the 2 gallons of air space present a problem? Should I send it all back to my carboy? Seems like that ought to be worse. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #28
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchair View Post
Hey, I am using this aquatainer thing as a secondary, well because I didn't have anything else and I just got it from wallyville and my 5g glass carboy was a mess after three days. So my question is since I put 5 gallons in there, does the 2 gallons of air space present a problem? Should I send it all back to my carboy? Seems like that ought to be worse. Any thoughts appreciated.

your fine - a blanket of c02 will cover your beer; I only plan on moving to cornies to seconday because I have a bunch of them and I may just cut 1/4" off the dip tubes and serve from them vs. gas transfering to another one.... the less steps the better.

Headspace isn't a real issue at all since the co2 blanket is created pretty quickly; even if it's "done" fermenting you will have small amount dissolved Co2 escape after you transfer.. I also use 5 gallons in a 15.5 capacity fermenter... depends on what's free at the moment.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #29
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Anyone still using these? Got one for a camping trip and instantly thought fermenter. They might not be 100% clear, but I still think it wouldn't be much of an issue to get them clean.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #30
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used one for a no-chill vessel. The only problem there is the spigot isn't very air-tight. I wish it just had a normal cap. Maybe I can plug the spigot hole with a pipe plug? Hmm....

-Joe

Quick Reply