*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettle Drilling Site

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kettle Drilling Site

I'm planning on adding a stainless spigot I got from NB to my boil pot. How far up from the bottom is a good distance to locate it? Anything I should know about before drilling out the SS pot?

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If using a weldless fitting set.

Use a sharpie for marking (alcohol will remove the marks)

To get the fitting all the way to the bottom, put your washer inside the pot and hold it so the washer is close to the bottom and still flat against the wall.

Make a mark inside the bottom of the hole of the washer and then measure from the lip of the pot down to the mark.

Make a mark on the outside of the kettle from the lip down to the same measurement.

This will the be the bottom of the hole for the nipple. Hold the nipple with the mark on the bottom and trace around the nipple to get the hole you will drill.

Mark the center of the hole, use a center punch on the mark, and drill your hole.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just did this from the outside. Made sure there was clearance for the washer above the bend in the bottom of the pot. Using a 1/2" mpt to compression fitting I made a pickup tube that screws into the BargainFittings SS bulkhead and spigot. Works like a champ and I can set the tube to pickup as much or as little of the bottom of the pot as I choose.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
michaelm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have been debating on putting a pickup tube in my kettle too... I figured I was going to put the valve up high enough that I KNOW it will be under the surface of the wort so I dont have to start a siphon but still high enough it will sit down in my sink or my kettle stand as its lipped and dropping the pickup tube.... Only problem would be once its half empty or so and the wort level falls below the valve if I lose siphon I will have to start it again....

Quick Reply