Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettle Ball Valve Location..??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
kuips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kettle Ball Valve Location..??

Edit: I had this posted in Equipment, but thought this would be a better spot.

I am slowly piecing together my first all grain kit and I just got a great deal on a 62qt kettle. So I ordered a SS Ball Valve from Bargin fittings and I am wondering wheres the best spot to put it.

Looking online I see that some pot have the valve placed between the pot handles, where as the blingmans have the valve under one of the handles. Is one spot better then the other? Also about how high should I drill the hole from the bottom?

Thanks for the help!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When carrying it through doors, having it below the handle will mean it's sticking out the side and likely to get banged around. I'd center it between the handles unless your stand has the pots really tight against one another prohibiting them from being put handle to handle. As far as height, it depends on if you're putting in a false bottom, if you're not, put it as low as possible.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Look at where the bottom of the pot stops curving and place the washer from that spot. You wan't to make sure the washer will sit flush with the side. Mark it and drill. Go slow and keep checking to ensure you don't drill the hole too big. You can use pam or vegetable oil to help lubricate the drill bit.

There are also instructions on his website which explain.

As to where across the pot you place it, well that is personal preference. Whatever best suits your set-up. I personally put mine off-center as I placed a thermometer next to it.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I put mine about 2" off the inner floor of the kettle and soldered a 180˚ tube out of a copper 3/4" MPT to 1/2" pipe adapter, a very short 1/2" copper pipe, a couple of 90˚ copper elbows, and another short piece of pipe so the spigot is drawing wort from the bottom corner of the kettle (facing away from the center). After a quick (2-3 minute) whirlpool, I'm gravity feeding the wort out of the spigot, into a counterflow chiller and into a 6.5 carboy. The whirlpool piles the trub and hops up in the middle of the kettle and the spigot, with the extra piping, draws off the edge of the kettle, leaving 98% of the trub/hop pile in the kettle.

Quick Reply