Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kenmore 7.2 Keezer problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
dirt55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kenmore 7.2 Keezer problem

Hi everyone!

I'm putting together a Keezer from a Kenmore 7.2 chest freezer as we speak and everything is going well. The only problem is that for the life of me I can't figure out how so many people with this model say they can fit 3 corney kegs?!?! I've searched everywhere on the net and numerous posters from a year or two ago state they can fit that many. I can only fit one on the lower deck and one on the hump after installing a 2x8 collar. Squeezing 2 next to each other on the lower deck isn't possible. I have one pepsi keg and the other is possibly a firestone corney...they seem to be the exact size, just giving you more info. Whew...sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated by this Noob.

PS...thanks to Joe C for the inspiration, just 2 weeks ago I never even thought about using kegs due to storage/chill concerns

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Patterson860
Recipes 

Are you sure you have a 7.2 and not a 5.1? I have a 7.2 Tapan keezer with a 2x6 collar and can fit five corny's. Two on the bump and three on the floor. Something is not adding up here.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

<rant>
Your problem may be due to the brand name. I grew up with all Kenmore appliances, and thinking that they last forever, like the ones I grew up with, I bought all new ones when my wife and I built our house. We've been in the house nine years, and all but the washer have either been replaced, or had some kind of major repair.
</rant>

I agree that it sounds like you have a smaller size than what you think it is. I have a 4.? kegerator that I can fit two cornies in nicely. Three just barely won't fit, if I had another couple inches, it would.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with the two posters above...it doesn't sound like you have a 7.2 cu ft. Freezer. Is your freezer square? or more rectangluar? The 7.2 should be more rectangular while a smaller one tends to be square.

On that, I don't see how any 7.2 could not fit more than 2 kegs...most people with a 5 cu ft freezer can fit at least 3.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The Kenmore freezers are very narrow and you can't get two side by side. I have the 8.8 cu ft freezer and it fits four on the floor and maybe two on the hump, but I haven't tried yet. Looking at the link for the Kenmore, the OP might be right. It's pretty much a box.

FWIW, I think the Magic Chef 7.2 @ Home Depot is the better option as it will take 6 and doesn't have a lot of dead space.

Shop for Kenmore in Freezers & Ice Makers at Sears.com including Chest,Upright,Ice Makers

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
FWIW, I think the Magic Chef 7.2 @ Home Depot is the better option as it will take 6 and doesn't have a lot of dead space.
I fit 4 on the floor, and adding a 6 inch colar would let me put 2 on the hump. I keep my tank/reg and a dozen chilled pint glasses on the hump of mine. Bought it for $210 new. there is very little dead space. on the floor there is about 1 inch to spare fron to back, and 2.5 inches side to side on the floor with 4 kegs in there

Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post

Shop for Kenmore in Freezers & Ice Makers at Sears.com including Chest,Upright,Ice Makers
Must not be a 7.2 then. You say the MC 7.2 holds 6 and yet his 7.2 only holds one??

I have a 5.0 with no collar and it holds 2 on the floor diaganol.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

couldn't find any kenmores on http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizi...ny-kegs-75449/

I went shoipping with round templates, and a stick 1 inch taller than my kegs...

Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
couldn't find any kenmores on http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizi...ny-kegs-75449/

I went shoipping with round templates, and a stick 1 inch taller than my kegs...

That's how ya do it!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
dirt55
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default well geez!

Now I know how to shop around for a freezer next time! So I looked everywhere for the size, I was told it was 7.2 based on the craigslist add and I had no reference for how big a 7.2 should have been...So, I looked up the model number and it's a 5.0 cu ft. So with my collar i have one on the floor and one on the hump. It is a very narrow/tall freezer. Well...live and learn i guess. I'm just happy to be part of the keezer family now!

Quick Reply