The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kenmore 4.6cu ft. Kegerator Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
WCrane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Finished product
Chalkboard paint on the door, and I mod-podged the six pack side (then sanded and smoothed) the sides
The top is a 2" by 2" by 3/4" birch ply and some 1.5"x 1/2" pine. Angled the cuts with a mitre saw, sand the hell out of it, Stained with an English chestnut then topped off with three coats of polyurethane.

image-2786441920.jpg   image-4266086891.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #32
thyirishmen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Very clean!

Primary-None
Keg 1-Munich Helles
Keg 2-Vanilla Bean Stout

Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #33
Lycan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bought the Emerson 4.5 cf and was able to convert it to a keggerator. I remove the selves and had to cut the door off as it is.glued to the foam in the door. I will be smoothing out the foam and getting that white board stuff to place over it so that I can write what is in there and how long its been in there. Right now I have a custom Wee Heavy in there and will be adding a cream ale for swmbo!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
cardinalsfan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

does anyone know if there are lines in the side of this fridge? I have a 20# CO2 tank that needs to be on the outside of the fridge so I need to run 2 lines through the side. I did some searches but can't seem to find any info on it and don't want to just go drilling. thanks!!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #35
cardinalsfan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalsfan View Post
does anyone know if there are lines in the side of this fridge? I have a 20# CO2 tank that needs to be on the outside of the fridge so I need to run 2 lines through the side. I did some searches but can't seem to find any info on it and don't want to just go drilling. thanks!!
I answered my own question today - yes there are lines in the side. I didn't hit one but I did find itafter drilling a hole and getting rid of some insulation. If you do need to drill in the side, do what I did. Move the thermostat up and pull away some of the plastic behind the thermostat. You'll see a black plastic circle where the wires come in for the thermostat. You are safe to drill through the black plastic circle.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #36
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCrane View Post
So I just purchased the same fridge and am in midst of the conversion. I have a few findings and alternative methods to add to the mix.

The Door - I removed the door, then the plastic inside and rubber weather stripping via the screws. The plastic is thin enough that a new Razor in a sturdy utility knife will cut it like butter. I cut to the inside of the screw holes right when the plastic makes the 90 degree turn towards the inside of the fridge. Be careful with you free hand. I'm pretty good with a razor knife, but snagged my finger pretty good.

The Top - I wasn't sure of where the lines where located (and I wanted to reinforce the lid for the tower. I carefully removed the plastic lid. Go slow. It help to use a putty knife around the edged. I also used a block of wood and hammer to tap the side up. Then I SLOWLY peeled the top off. **Start in one of the front corners. A wedge piece of wood (like a door stop) helped a lot. I carved out small area from a 1/2 piece of wood to reinforce the lid for the tower.

Big observation I found. With the lid removed, on the underside there is a circle in the plastic and three preset "screw holes". It is dead center from side to side and about 3/4 back from the front of the fridge.

After digging out some of the foam insulation I found that the center of the circle is directly between two condenser lines. Translate this to the inside- You can see the Big bumps in the fridge and a few on the roof have a small bump in between them. The big bumps have the Lines the little one are in between them. So you can drill from the inside out using he small bump as a guide. The condenser lines are about 1/2" from the center of the small bump.

***So in short the big bumps on the inside of the fridge are the lines***Stay away from them****

Cutting the shelf rails - again you can use a good sharp utility knife.

Now I have pin locks and they do not reach as high as the cornies the OP has So I dd not have to cut the freezer section, only the bottom rail/shelf support for the freezer section.

Thanks to the OP - his worked greatly helped mine, and I hope my 2-cents can help someone else.
Could you post pics of this done with both pin locks in?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #37
Drunken_Sailor
Recipes 

I think I've answered my own question, but the beer lines go up into the tower inside the copper tubing? Correct? Also I have a chance to buy a GE 4.3 cu. ft mini fridge for $75.00. Would I be able to do the same conversion with it? The pictures are identical to yours.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #38
BostonianBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Did you have any trouble drilling through the top any sign of the lines ?

Quick Reply