The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kenmore 4.6cu ft. Kegerator Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah I thought about that and that might work but im more inclined to think the direct contact of the air surrounding the pipe will have more of an effect than cooling the pipe inside the fridge and transfering that cold up the pipe to the tower, and didnt mean it in a negative way just was offering advice. Either way, very nice build, hope mine turns out that nice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
fishician
Recipes 

I am in the middle of converting this unit and will plan on placing the tower within the next week (after I get the stones to drill through the top). How sturdy is the draft tower? Is it necessary to add a wood panel to help with mounting?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
Mike_M
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My tower is very sturdy without the addition of any wood. I drilled through the top and used the four bolts included with my tower to mount it. I have had no problems at all so far.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
phredrixxx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCrane View Post
Fitting the Kegs- I cut out a 6-7"wide section of the compressor hump and removed the foam all the way to the plastic board in the back. I did this on the left side (as if you where looking into the fridge). There is a much better void in the back of the fridge where the compressor is. I used some spray foam to build back up what I took out. I covered all exposed areas with the silver tape. This along with the small amount from the door gave me enough to fit in two Pinlocks.
Would it be possible to post any pics of the mod you had to do to the compressor hump? Are you able to fit a 5# CO2 tank and everything else in there still?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
fishician
Recipes 

So I completed my build and thought I'd share what I did. I did decide to mount a cheap plastic cutting board to the underside of the top (plastic so it won't rot with any humidity/condensation). After taking the top off, I removed some insulation to locate the refrigerator lines and can confirm that the ridges lining the top of the freezer are where they are located. There is about 1 1/4" in between them, so drilling blindly is cutting it pretty close but should be feasible if you stay between the ridges. I lined the insulation where I drilled with aluminum tape to seal off any condensation as well. I added rails, which were just stainless drawer handles from home depot.

photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-5.jpg   photo-6.jpg   photo-7.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
fishician
Recipes 

Here is the finished product. I used a 1" inch hole saw and made three holes with it, 2 for the lines, and 1 to pass a conductive piece of copper tubing up into the draft tower which lies between the two beer lines.

photo-8.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
Mike_M
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That looks fantastic. Nice job.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #28
mfive
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishician View Post
I added rails, which were just stainless drawer handles from home depot.

Very nice build!!! Can you elaborate on how you connected the drawer handles/rail?

Also - what drip-tray is that and how did you connect it? It looks awesome!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #29
fishician
Recipes 

Thanks Mike, pleased with it so far after figuring out a leak in my CO2 line. All good now though.
mfive - The drawer handles were available at home depot. I've heard of some people locating some on-line. I did a google search and found this site, but just a reference as to what I used as I have no idea about this actual site.

http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/mor...steel-bar-pull

The side rails are 15.5" and the back is 19.5". You have to pre-drill through the top after removing it, and I used some spacer washers on the underside to make it more stable and create the necessary space (the top is too thin and the hardware will bottom out otherwise).
The drip tray was from northern brewer.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...w-cut-out.html

You can find some very similar ones online. It sets on the top and can be easily removed and cleaned without any necessary installation.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phredrixxx

Would it be possible to post any pics of the mod you had to do to the compressor hump? Are you able to fit a 5# CO2 tank and everything else in there still?

Thanks!
Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread having a 4-mo old really changes free time I can't post pics. Two kegs fit. And the tank will based on measurements and mock ups.
image-664474361.jpg   image-3771639483.jpg  

Quick Reply