Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keggle welding/sugaring question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Drake9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Keggle welding/sugaring question

So I am not a welder by trade but have taken some classes and been welding for a couple years now. Did some research and found if I wanted to turn some kegs into keggle I needed to back purge. Lincoln TIG185 set to 85 amps (not really going full throttle though) and using 1/16 316 rod.

So I tried the can and second hose method and I am not sure it work very good. So the that is the first one, it is not black so not 100 percent it is surgaring. The second one was black as the tape let lose and I didnt know it and the can was half hanging off.

So I was going to use this for HLT so not sure how critical it is, can I still use it? Also I still need to do my BK and my buddies BK if I can get this squared away. Please let me know what you guys think so I can maybe figure what went wrong so I can try again.

0407132157.jpg   0407132150.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Drake9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can anybody help me out?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can tell you that looks way better than the inside of mine, but mines worked for many batches with no problems. My welder didn't back gas it at all, so while it looks ugly, it's still welded and liquid tight. If it were a fermenter, and I was worried about sanitary welds, I would think about redoing it, but since it's a boil kettle, it's not going to hurt anything.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First off I think you had the welder up really high, I use 1/16 gas lens/ 1/16 2% therated tungstin, and run about 30-45 amps max. (note I don't use a peddle so that changes things). Did you put a hole in the can to let the argon purge the air out? you may have also been adding to much filler. Also what I like to do is pull the wall out intended of but joint the fitting like you would if you were soldering the fitting. Check this forum out :

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=58247

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Drake9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I will have to check that link out. I was thinking it might have been to much heat and to much filler rod as well. I was going to start using .045 rod and had both laying there and grabbed the 1/6 rod by accident. After I realized it i figure I might as well finish with that. I think on my BK I will turn down the welder some and try the smaller rod and see how it goes.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drake9

What I see is a combination of excess penetration and yes some contamination.

You did not wait long enough for the Argon to push out all the Oxygen, or the flow rate was too high creating too much turbulence inside the can.

The flow rate should be set at about 10 on your flow meter and tape a small ball of stainless steel wool on the end of your purge hose. That will eliminate any turbulence..

For thin walled stainless filler wire is not necessary. You can make a fusion weld if the fit is tight.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Fusion is the way to go, its sanitary and so much easier. If you get a pin hole just hit it with some filler. But just remember as Dmfa200 states, you must have a really tight fit. if you dont you will blow through.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Drake9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the information, I will keep that in mind next time. The fight was tight and could have probably just did the fusion weld, didnt think about it. I didnt think and the turbulance issue you are talking about, makes sense though.

Now I just need to figure out how I am going to clean those nasty things up. Would be alot easier if I would have made the coupler flush with the inside and not sticking into the inside.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

You could either take a dremel to it or just cut it out and add a larger fitting?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Drake9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I guess I could cut it out and weld a bigger fitting in, probably just try to clean it up first. In my mind it is not a big deal as it is the HLT and will only have water in it and that water will get boiled anyway. Thoughts on that?

Quick Reply