Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keggle skirt holes for additional burner venting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Keggle skirt holes for additional burner venting

Has anyone cut additional holes in their keggle skirts to allow better venting from the burners? The flames on my new stand aren't curling downward, but it appears that the combination of windscreen/frame is interrupting the flow of exhaust gasses. I'm thinking a series of 1/2" holes along the top of the skirt would work, or if i get lazy bigger slots with the angle grinder.

newholes.jpg  

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

What is the theory on flames curling downward? I think the 4 holes already in the skirt would be enough to let any gas to escape.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

As a test on the single tier, i had both burners going toward the low end of output. One burner with keggle, one without. The steel and windscreen around the burner with the keggle all discolored and turned red hot, the burner without the keggle "obstruction" did not.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
Has anyone cut additional holes in their keggle skirts to allow better venting from the burners? The flames on my new stand aren't curling downward, but it appears that the combination of windscreen/frame is interrupting the flow of exhaust gasses. I'm thinking a series of 1/2" holes along the top of the skirt would work, or if i get lazy bigger slots with the angle grinder.
Yep, I did and I regret it. It substantially increased the time to bring 5 gallons to a boil. I did a before and after test and did my best to eliminate any other variables. I do not have a windscreen on my burner, but the test was done out of the wind in an enclosed garage with an SQ-14 burner. This was a one time test, so don't take the results as absolute. I may well have overlooked something. The venting concept sounded like a good idea, but I no longer think so. If you do it, run a similar before and after test and post back. I'd be inteested to know if you have the same result.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
The venting concept sounded like a good idea, but I no longer think so. If you do it, run a similar before and after test and post back. I'd be interested to know if you have the same result.
I agree.... more information is good.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I think it also depends on the burner you're using... I used my KAB4 under my keg mash tun and didn't have any issue. Well, none from the burner that is...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
vinyl_key
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've seen a thread here on the exact same subject, only, I can't find it, and I can't remember what the conclusion was (lot of help I am lol). The guy did some before and after measurements with timing how long it took water to boil in the keggle before and after the holes. I think the thread also had some experiments on painting the bottom of the keggle black if that helps to find it?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just have the original 4 holes in the skirt. Luckily, I turned the keg so they don't face "out" front and back. Flames come out of those holes and will superheat anything around (including shirt tails!) - Dwain

Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
olsond
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't understand why you'd want the heat venting out from under the Kettle.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsond View Post
I don't understand why you'd want the heat venting out from under the Kettle.
The theory, as I understood it, was that the un-vented skirt would trap gasses which would deflect the incoming hotter gasses preventing them from reaching the bottom of the kettle efficiently. The vents were supposed to allow the cooler gas to be more effectively displaced by the incoming hotter gasses by giving it an easy escape route.

Quick Reply