LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
redrider736
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Keggle question

I am having some welding work done to a Keggle (Bulkheads for Ball valve & Sight glass/Thermometer), and I thought I mine as well get 3 Keggles welded up for the future.

Question(s) are;
Should I get bulkheads welded into the Mash Tun for Sparging, and the Kettle for Recirculation ?

Dose the HLT need one as well ??

Will 1/2" bulkheads do the trick, and are they installed as high on the Keg as you can put them ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You might as well have a return welded into the mash tun if you plan to recirculate.

The HLT only needs a bulkhead to drain unless you want to incorporate some type of fill port or an inner coil for a herms or something.

1/2" full couplings welded nearly flush to the skirt welds on the bottom for the drain ports and then wherever you decide for the other ports.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
redrider736
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
You might as well have a return welded into the mash tun if you plan to recirculate.

The HLT only needs a bulkhead to drain unless you want to incorporate some type of fill port or an inner coil for a herms or something.

1/2" full couplings welded nearly flush to the skirt welds on the bottom for the drain ports and then wherever you decide for the other ports.
Alright ! Think I got it, the same couplings/bulkheads that I am using for the 1/2 Ball Valve & Sight glass / Thermometer combo I would use for the Sparge/Recirculation ports.
I think I will put one in to the HLT as well, and if I don't need it just plug it. I was thinking this would be good for cleaning ??? any thoughts ???

Do you ship up to Canada ???? Having a very hard time finding parts for All Grain home Brewing up my way.

ThX

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
redrider736
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any other thoughts, before I drop them off ?? Im jumping into this head first and just don't want to F-up things.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
redrider736
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump !

Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you will have to figure out your system configuration and orientation before you have
a bunch of fittings welded on.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post

Wouldn't you also want a place for a sight-glass and thermometer on the HLT?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
beerrepository
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing
I think you will have to figure out your system configuration and orientation before you have
a bunch of fittings welded on.
Agreed, are you planning on doing HERMS or RIMS in the future? Do you know what your process is going to look like on a brew day?

I would get an idea of exactly what you need before getting things just arbitrarily welded.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
redrider736
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I am understating the different systems right, I am going in the direction of a Direct fired Brutus 10 at a latter point in time.

My original plan is to use 1 Keggle as my HLT & BK with a converted cooler as my Mash Tun, then down the road move up and into a 3 vessel system, which seems to be a Brutus 10.

I just figured if I was getting 1 Keggle welded up I mind as well get all 3 done at once.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you're paying the welder by the hour and you're getting a good deal, I'd put in more ports than you need. Just as an example, you may think you want a direct fired MLT but in the end, you might want a HERMS coil in the HLT.

HLT: 1/2" drain (I'd seriously consider putting this dead center at the bottom of the dish for complete draining without no diptube), 1/2" coupling for thermometer. 1/2 or 1/4" half coupling for sight gauge. The advantage of breaking them up into two ports is that you can put the sight port nice and low while the thermo is up a few inches for easier viewing and a slightly more average temp reading. If you go with the HERMS ports, in general one goes near the bottom and one about 2/3rds of the way up from there, say just above the top bumped out ring.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply