Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegging, here I come!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
danb35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
So, I imagine it would be lower because of less heat? How much of a correction should be used?
CO2 is stored in the tank as a liquid under pressure, and the pressure that you'll read on the tank pressure gauge is the vapor pressure of CO2 at the ambient temperature. If the temperature stays constant, the pressure will also stay constant until all the liquid is gone (i.e., the tank is almost totally empty), making the tank pressure gauge not very useful.

When in the fridge, I've seen readings around 400-500 psi. At room temperature, about 800-1000.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts

Phase 1 has been completed. One scrubbed out fridge. The SWMBO helped out here. This is where she shines It is her medium, a true master!

Phase 2 has been completed. I just received the delivery from Todd at Kegconnection.

Now: Phase 3: Drilling the tap holes and installing the kegging equipment. Stay tuned.

inside-fridge.jpg  

I like beer

Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Cider123
Recipes 

BTW, can someone just confirm for me. My shanks are the SS models that come with the usual fridge kits from kegconnection. Is a 1 inch hole saw too big or should I use a 7/8 in?

Never mind, I found it. It's gonna be 1 inch holes.

I like beer

Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Cider123
Recipes 

Looks like Phrase 3 is complete (pretty much). That was almost too easy. Maybe I left a step out.
I placed the center of each hole 4 inches apart and also 2 inches to each side of dead center. I started with a pilot hole, then felt around with a probe to check for wires or fridge lines. I followed through both sides with the pilot hole, then drilled the 1 inch hole with the saw blade from each side. Scraped out excess foam, filed the rough edges off the holes and slid the shanks in. After tightening the shanks down, I screwed on the taps.

I do notice the shanks will turn if I push on the taps at all. I don't want to over tighten the shanks and possibly dent the fridge walls.

So, Phase 4:
Get the CO2 tank filled and hook up all the hoses and double-body regulator.

taps1.jpg   taps2.jpg  

I like beer

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Cider123
Recipes 

I still have 2 more weeks or so before my next brew will be done fermenting.
I just ordered my next grain batch so I can get ready to have my first 2 beers on tap.
The first two will be a Petite Siason and an American Wheat. Should be good to go for the start of summer.

I like beer

Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #16
Cider123
Recipes 

So we got to the final phases

I hooked up the taprite regulator to the filled CO2 tank
I sanitized the new keg
I siphoned my siason into the keg, lubed the rings, sanitized the lid again and sealed.
Then the tricky part. Learning how to use a regulator. The damn thing don't come with directions. So after fiddling with the knobs and learning that you have to pull out the pressure knob before you can adjust it, I managed to purge the oxygen out and seal the lid with 30 psi CO2. I cut the gas though. I decided to let it sit overnight to cool down to 40F before beginning the carbing. I plan on setting it to 28 psi tomorrow morning and letting it sit for 36 hours, then purge and reset to 8-9psi for a few days.

Still that regulator is tough. You dial the pressure you want, but when you open up the valve the pressure changes. I wish I knew how to get it to exactly where you want it without having to go through all this trial and error. No one seems to have a video or tutorial on how to use a regulator.
I'll post some pics soon

I like beer

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
Cider123
Recipes 

I got the regulator somewhat figured out. I force carbed for 36 hours at 28 psi and set it back to just below 10 psi. I'll give it a few days, then hook up the beer lines and give her the first pull Can't wait to see how it goes!

I guess I'm alone on this thread. Oh well, there must be a million "I'm gonna set up a beer fridge" threads. I've seen my coolerator fridge on a few other threads. The Whirlpool Frost Free must have been a popular fridge.

I also washed a batch of 3711 yeast from this brew. It's a great yeast.

I like beer

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Cider123
Recipes 

Success!

Just poured my first brew from the tap. It is great! Perfect amount of carbonation for me and a decent head. The flavor is a bit bland for a saison, but maybe with time it will develop some complexity. If not, it's a damn good and refreshing summer brew. I need to get some pics up.

This has all worked out very well.

I like beer

Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #19
Cider123
Recipes 

Well, here are some pics. My wife made me some decorations for the ol' Coolerator. Two magnetic black boards and a cool bottle light that she made from scratch.
I just made 5.5 gallons of American Wheat that should start bubbling away by tomorrow morning. The wheat will occupy the second tap (hopefully before the first kicks). That Siason might not have all that Siason flavor I read about, but it is one refreshing beer on a warm summer's day.
Love that Coolerator!

lights1.jpg   lights2.jpg   tap3.jpg  

I like beer

Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
collinsDPT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Awesome job man, I bet you're excited. I just got my temp controllers built and hope to clean my first corny and fill it with my Belgian blonde which is almost 3 weeks old now.

I feel your pain with the reg, I am sure ill go through some of the same growing pains soon.

Kegged: LHBS Chocolate Milk Stout
Kegged: NB Apricot Blonde
Kegged: NB American Wheat

Quick Reply