Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > kegerator tower cooling power supply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
discoross
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kegerator tower cooling power supply

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a Sanyo/Danby kegerator, and I'm wondering about the tower cooling.
Many insist on some sort of air pump from a CPU fan to avoid foaming. How do people power this? Is it easy to tap into the fridge power, or do people drill a secondary hole out the back to hide the extra power cord?

OR
Is there a nice way that avoids the need for a fan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When I had a small fridge for my kegerator (upgrated to a full side-by-side kegerator to fit 4 kegs/taps and room for my CO2 and another keg for aging/lagering) I used a fan and put it in a speaker box and powered it with a AC adapter and ran the cord through the hole already supplied for the cooling tubes running out the back. Worked great was easy to hide and did just what I needed it to. Good luck and if you need more info/help feel free to message me.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1112 Times on 903 Posts

I built a tower cooler using a 40mm computer fan powered by a cheap DC wall-wart. It's in a keezer, there's no accessible power from the inside, so I ran the wire through the back edge of the lid. A fridge unit may well have a power source you can tap into in the temperature control unit.

fwiw, a passive cooling alternative is being discussed in this thread...

Cheers!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

PS, if you have the room for a full size fridge I highly recommend you just start with a full fridge and get the fridge off Craigslist(got a side-by-side for $50 and all of it works great!). No tower for your spouts, extra room for lagering or more kegs. Just some advice.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
discoross
Recipes 

hmmmbeer: Sadly, I'm in a shared college house - starting small until I eventually have a garage to fill with my contraptions.

"the hole already supplied for the cooling tubes running out the back."
Is this standard?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
smmcdermott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a two tap tower and have copper piping that I run the lines through. Just let the copper pipe stay about 2-3 inches into the fridge and it will keep it cool. Then put some sort of insulator in there, I stuffed mine with newspaper. It works great.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmcdermott View Post
I have a two tap tower and have copper piping that I run the lines through. Just let the copper pipe stay about 2-3 inches into the fridge and it will keep it cool. Then put some sort of insulator in there, I stuffed mine with newspaper. It works great.
That is what I did. Copper pipes. Foam pipe-wrap and blue insulation in the coffin box. Beautiful pours.

B

Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoross View Post
"the hole already supplied for the cooling tubes running out the back."
Is this standard?
I'm not sure about "standard" but the one I used and most of the ones I looked at had it. The hole in the back ran the condenser and supplied the copper tubes into the "freezer" section. Warning, the area that you will push the power line through is a tight fit so I had to snip the end that plugs into the fan (make sure you cut it 6" or so so you can strip the wire back reconnect them afer its through the fridge and shrink wrap the wires back to new) It sounds harder than it is but its very simple. Also, the tubing idea is a good option but I never tried it. I would use the foaming type insulation you get in a can rather the newspart). Just a thought.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
allthingsgiant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Put a fan in your kegerator to ensure equal colling in your chamber. If you don't you can experience +/- 7 degrees difference top to bottom of your keg. That will affect your pour. I used a cell phone charger hooked up to a simple fan. Works awesome. Cheap, too.
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/1894

Also, put copper tubes around your lines, and up into your tower. Wrap this with foil tape before you install completely.

This is what I did, and at most, first pour of the day I get half pint foam in a 100F garage, then the rest is good stuff.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.towercooler.com/

I think i may give this a try.

Quick Reply