The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator: Sylvania SE80106-2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Kegerator: Sylvania SE80106-2

I finally was able to get a fridge using my hoarded Canadian Tire money and gift certificates. I've written up a how-to on the wiki based on my experience today (with the help of MrX's thread here) and based on my own fiddling. I have not yet added a 2-tap tower but I plan to update the how-to once I do.

Sylvania SE80106-2 Kegerator Conversion

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looking good... I am convinced no matter what the means of getting the beer on tap , it always tastes better from the faucet than the bottle.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
Looking good... I am convinced no matter what the means of getting the beer on tap , it always tastes better from the faucet than the bottle.
I KNOW!!! The first time I cracked open the tap I emptied trube into a glass. The second time I cracked that bad boy open my mouth was sucking beer STRAIGHT FROM THE TAP BARNEY STYLE(from the simpson's)! THERE IS NOTHING BETTER!!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)
j_ettar Likes This 
Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, you did a great job on that. Removing that door liner certainly looks much easier than than ripping the shelves out. Nine thumbs up!!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsawyer
I KNOW!!! The first time I cracked open the tap I emptied trube into a glass. The second time I cracked that bad boy open my mouth was sucking beer STRAIGHT FROM THE TAP BARNEY STYLE(from the simpson's)! THERE IS NOTHING BETTER!!!!
Thanks, now I have coffee all over my keyboard.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
Wow, you did a great job on that. Removing that door liner certainly looks much easier than than ripping the shelves out. Nine thumbs up!!!!!
Thanks. I was going to do what you did as well. But I remembered a thread on here (wish I could remember so I could credit) where someone used a whiteboard. So I yanked mine off the wall and chopped it up. Nice bare spot on my wall though, I guess I better buy another.

Next item on my todo list is a 2-tap tower. Not sure when I'll get the cash for that as I just bought 2 new kegs for $55CDN/ea yesterday as well.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FYI, I put my little fan in the top left hand corner at the front. And I have one tap at the front (working on funds for a second). I'll show you a pic when I'm home in a few days time.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
BeerCanuck

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default I am converting a Sylvania SE80106-2 to a Kegerator as well

Hi Bradsul

I recently purchased a Sylvania SE80106-2 on sale at Canadain Tire. I noticed it was 4.5 cubic foot so I decided to measure it to see if it would hold 2 cornelius kegs it does after converting the door as you already know. I decided to google the fridge and thats when I noticed your wiki and your Canadain

I have an almost identical setup as yours and I have just started on the door portion of the conversion. I think I will paint the unfinshed side of the white board with three coats of exterior paint to prevent the board from swelling due to condenation. Also I plan on securing the gasket using tyvec tape on the backside of the whiteboard for a better seal.

I turned the fridge on and it seems that only the back portion of the fridge gets hot or cold. I want to eventually put dual taps on the top of the fridge aswell.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #9
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The refrigeration coils are at the back, at it has been my experience that without a small (an it only needs to be real small) fan for circulation, you'll be stuck with foamy beer even at high pressures and long lines because the temp gets too warm at the top.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

BeerCanuck, first off welcome to HBT! Always great to see another Canadian on here. That's a good idea about painting the whiteboard. I was in such a hurry to get my kegs chilled that I didn't consider the humidity issue.

The tyvec tape probably wouldn't hurt but from what I saw when reassembling mine it isn't necessary. Once you get all the screws in, the gasket isn't going anywhere.

I've had mine running with kegs in it since saturday and my temperature has been completely stable throughout the entire fridge. I've got it set to hold at 7-8C and even down in front of the kegs my thermometer reads that. I've been checking the temperature of the beer that I pour and it's all at 8C as well. Maybe I got lucky with this fridge, seems like they aren't the most consistent in the world. I don't have a tower yet so I'm planning on having to implement mr x's solution once I do.

I may be lucking into a free 2 tap stainless tower for the cost of some beer. Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply