New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator misadventures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
glockentalk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegerator misadventures

I rather rashly bought a small used Danby fridge from a neighbor. After I bought it, I realized that the fridge door wouldn't shut if the soda keg was put on the floor; it had to stand on the riser above the compressor. This meant that the keg was too tall. So I removed the freezer compartment, which released all the refrigerant. I decided to make a virtue of necessity, and turn the fridge into an ice box. I stripped out all the mechanicals, making it very light. I needed to drill holes on the top for the lines, but the disconnects were too tall to go in the fridge, and too short to stand above it. Luckily, I found some straight vertical disconnects. So now my keg ice box (kox?) is fully functional. Every few days I just have to swap in plastic containers full of ice that I make in my regular freezer.

Note: As far as I can tell, only Kegman sells the straight vertical disconnects, and only for the pin-style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Can you post a pic? Could you give yourself some extra room in there by removing any shelves on the fridge door and replacing them with a sheet of plastic or metal?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
glockentalk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggage View Post
Can you post a pic?
I'd be glad to. I'll get to it soon.

Quote:
Could you give yourself some extra room in there by removing any shelves on the fridge door and replacing them with a sheet of plastic or metal?
I did remove the door shelving, replacing it with a leftover piece of panelling. It still didn't give me enough room to sit the keg on the floor. That was my main measurement miscalculation.

By the way, the keg just barely fits on the riser above the compressor. I trimmed the rubber from the top of one of my kegs, which gives me a little extra play.

Last edited by glockentalk; 07-07-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply