Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator Makeover

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Next I wanted to remove the tower and that make-shift top someone had put on the kegerator. I'll be selling the tower, faucet, Bud Light tap handle, and sankey tap, hopefully I can almost cut the price I paid for this thing in half.

The tower was just attached to the sheetmetal top with some self-tapping sheetmetal screws. Definitely not the way it came from the factory. Then I removed the piece of galvanized sheetmetal they had for a top (more non-factory self-tappers) and found an un-insultated space underneath.

My plan is to build a new countertop for it, I'm not sure what material I'll use yet, but I'll stuff some insulation down in there before I attach the new top.

img_1782.jpg   img_1783.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The next thing I wanted to do was to see how many kegs I could fit in this thing. Turns out it will fit four, but the two in the back need to be pin-locks because the space is shorter. Even with three, one of them will need to be a pin-lock. I have a couple of each but I eventually want to have everything one style, preferably ball-lock. Does anybody know if/how you can convert a pin-lock keg to ball lock? Is it as simple as un-threading the pin-lock posts and threading on ball-lock posts?

I plan to have a 3-faucet tower on this thing but it will be nice to have a reserve keg in there carbonating. If I do it that way I'll have to figure out a way to keep the CO2 bottle outside as I don't think it will fit inside with four kegs.

img_1785.jpg   img_1784.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And for my biggest project of the day, I built a frame with wheels for it. This is actually one of the reasons I wanted to refurb a used kegerator rather than buying a new one (that and the fact that I was going to ditch the stock tower anyhow in favor of a 3-faucet tower with Perlicks). I know some new ones come with itty bitty casters already, but I wanted to put some bigger ones under there, with a heavy duty frame, so I could push it all over the place--out to the pool, take it other places and be able to roll on rough surfaces, etc.

I had some 1"X2"X.065" rectangular tubing laying around that I thought would work perfectly for this. So out came the hot saw, welder, grinders, etc. I hadn't had a welding project in a while so it took a few beads to get my groove back. But I was grinding them all down anyhow so no need for pretty beads. Grinder, sander and flap-wheel and all was smooth.

img_1786.jpg   img_1788.jpg   img_1789.jpg   img_1790.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I picked up these casters yesterday at Harbor Freight. To rigids and two crazy wheels with brakes. One hassle when building a frame like this out of tubing is that every hole needs to be one size on one side (small for the bolt or screw to go through) and another size on the opposite side (big for the nut or bolt head and socket). It turned my beautiful square into swiss cheeze but you'll never see it, only the side of the tubing.

Once the wheels were on I attached the whole thing to the bottom of the kegerator with some #12 sheetmetal screws. Flipped it back up on its wheels and it rolls smooth as a baby's butt.

I'll leave it like this until I'm done with the rest of the project, then I'll pull the frame back off and powder coat it before final assembly.

img_1791.jpg   img_1792.jpg   img_1795.jpg   img_1796.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've been thinking of what to do with the exterior of this thing. I've come to the conclusion I'm not a good enough woodworker to do a nice wood fascia. I considered paint but I want better than a rattle can job, but it's not really worth doing a professional paint job in it.

I'm starting to lean toward a vinyl wrap. You know, like a vehicle wrap. I can do the artwork myself and get buddy pricing from one of the decal/wrap vendors we use at my work.

Has anybody else used a vinyl wrap to spruce up an old kegerator? I'd love to see some examples if there are any out there. I'd also like to hear suggestions in what to put in the design. Should I design a logo for my "brewery"? Or just do hot rod flames like you see on some custom painted vintage refrigerators? Im a marketing director by trade with a background in graphic design so I should be able to implement whatever ideas I/we come up with

Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #16
LilManBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, I don't know if I'm more excited for your kegerator or your Bronco!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
polvofiloso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilManBrewing View Post
Thanks! It needs some attention too though. If it could talk it would probably be chewing me out for working on this old kegerator. But its nice to have a project that I can finish in just a few days rather than months or years. I've got a Bronco out back that's been in pieces for years waiting for me to put it back together.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
LilManBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polvofiloso

Thanks! It needs some attention too though. If it could talk it would probably be chewing me out for working on this old kegerator. But its nice to have a project that I can finish in just a few days rather than months or years. I've got a Bronco out back that's been in pieces for years waiting for me to put it back together.
I totally know what you mean. I have a 1970 El Camino I've been working on and I feel that I never have enough time or money to do what I want to do to it.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilManBrewing View Post
^ This

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
TaylorInOK
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah your bronco looks like a hella fun time. Would be handy where i go for off-grid camping.

My left eye twitched when i saw your magnetic bowl of screws. Like looking at an Escher painting seeing that and wondering if the picture was rotated wrong, but then seeing everything else right side up. LOL

Quick Reply