Kegerator or keezer project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I am bringing this thread back to life. Is it cheaper and simpler to just buy a kegerator conversion kit rather than all these seperate pieces? Seems like it would but idk. Guess that's why I'm askin

It would be simpler, but it isn't necessarily cheaper. Plus if you decide that you wanna go with MFL swivel nuts (so you can unscrew lines from disconnects) instead of just hose barbs clamped some kits just do hose barbs.

Prices fluctuate all the time, so there isn't a straight answer for this moneywise.

I would read up on all of what is needed for a keg setup and understand it very well before you make any purchases.

If you're looking at something just to get you going into kegging on the cheap I would say yes thats' a pretty good deal.. You could always slap a two faucet tower on there if you wanted to.

BUT that thing does look old. $100 is a decent price for it though. I'd go for it

Hmmm haha yes indecision is definitely my problem. Sorry to keep bringing old threads back to life! So would it be decently easy to make it work with homebrew kegs it sounds like?

A brew buddy has one like that switched to 3 tap. It's a R-12 at 1.4 amp and 120 volt brake down on electricity: 1.4 X 120 = 168 (Watts) X 2.3 (Hours it runs per day) =386.4 X 365 (Day per year) =141,036 (Total Watts) / divided by 1000 = 141.04 Kw X .06 (what ever your price is per Kw) = $8.46 per year to run, or 2 cents a day here. :D

Well I emailed the guy asking him some questions about it like if it runs and important things like that and he never emailed me back and it's off Craigslist haha makes that decision easy!

Oh no I completely understand. There was no way I could get to this guy during a work week just too far away and I knew that so I'm not all that upset

I feel your pain. I started looking about 5 months back. Bought one is Seneca SC for $75 and it was huge. SWMBO hated it and I really didn't need one that could fit 9 kegs (but honestly, if you have space and a love for brewing...go big or home). Then i looked around and had 2 available in Charlotte (where I live) for $50 and they were prestine. But got sold right form under me when I asked for dimensions and such. Luckily i found one in Florence (great condition for $50) and another one that was older but work (now my fermentation chamber) for $40.

But now I am helping my buddy make one and it seems freezers have risen in value. Can't find a 5-9 cu ft freezer for less than $125 anywhere. At the time, $50 freezers riddled CL, now they are unicorns. If you do the math and think a decent deal, you gotta take it. Price gas into the equation, but also be smart. Some crap is on CL, and you can't return it.

What's your size and price range. I do a scout out in Columbia/Florence/Charlotte/Greenville every so often for good deals. I will be on the lookout. My buddy is wavering his kegging commitment, but i like finding deals. Sold the giant freezer for a $25 project and a happy SWMBO. Also I have found some 20 lb CO2 tanks for $20 each (wasnt quick enough).

I went to beveragefactory.com and got their two tap picnic tap set with a tank and two ball lock kegs and two 525ss with stainless shanks for less than their two tap conversion kit. It saved me like $60 doing it that way. All I need is beer line and clamps. It isn't the eBay/Craigslist route but I wanted new.

Now I'm just waiting for my aquarium thermostat and kenmore 8.8 to get here...

Oh and how to be a better brewer...

Does anyone know how much of the chalkboard paint is needed to cover the kenmore 8.8. I know lowes has an cover amount but I wanted a real world number.

I think it really depends on what you already have kegs, faucets, etc. I got the freezer for mine off craigslist for $90. The wood, stain, and appliance paint was maybe $50. Where it gets expensive is when your buying kegs, faucets, gas regulators, etc. Thats why I went with the keezer and started with just two faucets but I drilled eight holes and covered them with faucet hole covers.

If I might suggest one thing. Go as big as space and $$ will allow now and add to it later because you WILL want to add more taps. They are addictive!

Keezer_7.jpg

Sweet. How much did all of that end up running you?

Because I wanted new, minus the kegs, plus good old 8% CA sales tax and shipping was $400. The temp controller was $20 but I am nervous about it and might just throw down for a Johnson or Ronco I'm weighing my budget first. I found that the wood and hardware for the collar, I went with red oak, was also about $100. I didn't want to spend so much but everyone on CL out here wanted a lot for stuff they built or pieced together. I at least know what was put into mine and how all the parts have been treated.

Back