Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Joeybad87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegerator help!

Hello all, I'm now to posting on the forum, but have been reading for quite some time now.
On the the real stuff, I've finally decided to build a kegerator. I've decided on a two tap system and to run those taps out of the front door of the mini fridge. I know that this is less desirable, but seeing as I am moving into a studio floor space is at a premium and this unit will also double as a makeshift end table in my living room... The issue is that I want a compact refrigerator that is large enough to house two 1/4bbl Slim kegs (11" diameter) as well as my 5lb CO2 tank. I know that finding something for them to sit side by side is almost impossible, so I'm assuming that they'll have to sit staggered. All of my internet searches for finding one have come up pretty much empty. Has anybody seen a system that is capable of this or could anyone help point me in the right direction. It is also possible that I'm being too ambitions.. Thanks for the help in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I don't know of any database with interior dimensions - you have two choices (at least)

1) a lot of searching at manufacturer websites
2) go to your local big box stores and start measuring.

welcome to HBT

Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Joeybad87
Recipes 

Thank you.. I've been looking online a lot, the dimension that is always left out is for that stupid hump around the compressor. I've actually called a couple of the manufacturers to see if they had any information on that dimension but haven't had any luck. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to go measure, however most of the ones that I've seen that I think might be large enough aren't carried at any local stores. Also I'm still in Afghanistan for about a month and was hoping to have the stuff shipped to my place and ready for me to build when I return. I'm still looking though, if anyone else knows of anything please let me know

Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Oh, that makes it difficult to measure, doesn't it!

Do you know the dimensions of your kegs? 11" by ___ high? Next time I'm in a Home Depot or Lowes or Best Buy, I could take measurements -

in fact, dear readers, as our OP is stationed in Afghanistan, perhaps several of us that have read /will read this thread could volunteer to post measurements (such a small sacrifice compared to his!)

thanks for your service, JoeyBad87! Please stay safe!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Joeybad87
Recipes 

A 1/4bbl slim keg is the same height as a 1/2 barrel I believe. I've read anywhere between 23-24" plus the height of a compact coupler which is about an inch. so i would say 26" just to be safe. In my research I hadn't ran into trouble with the height it is always the width and lack of dimensions for the true depth at the floor. I would really appreciate it if that were something that you could do for me! I would be extremely grateful... Thank you guys so much for helping me out like that!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Joey,

The 1/4 tall kegs measure 11 1/4 diameter. I dont think two in a minifridge is doable. I use these and can fit two w/ a 5 lb tank in a small 5 cf chest freezer w/ a tall collar. I would guess you need to try a small 12-15 cf apartment style fridge, this will be taller and better for running taps out the door. With luck you might find a used cheap one on clist. Thanks for your service!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/app/2774370414.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/app/2772897622.html

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Joeybad87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Joey,

The 1/4 tall kegs measure 11 1/4 diameter. I dont think two in a minifridge is doable. I use these and can fit two w/ a 5 lb tank in a small 5 cf chest freezer w/ a tall collar.
I had been reading about using he chest freezers as opposed to a minifridge, but I'm worried about the noise it produces. As it will be sitting right next to my couch and not all that far from my bed in a studio. Does yours make a noticeable amount of noise? If not do you mind asking which model you use and if the collar is absolutely necessary. Adding the extra height would render it almost useless as an end table, but in the end I think I'll be ok with that.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Do a cardboard cut out of the diameter and take it to the appliance store. Lay em in there side by side. See if they will fit. I'm thinking your going to need a 5.0cf fridge. Which might be a special item. A 5.0cf freezer isn't that large. Going to be about the same as the mini fridge. You'll just have to clear off the top before changing anything.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Joey,

I'm looking at making one out of this Kenmore .

It is 5.7cu. ft. It may be big enough. The local sears has it in a box, so I can't take internal measurements.

Stay healthy and happy new year.

Chris

Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I think you'll be better off with a chest freezer. probably need to go to a 7 cf. They won't be any noisier than a mini-fridge and with better insulation, the compressor won't run as often. I've got a 9 cf fridge I'm using for a temporary kegger and that's a squeeze for two cornies. It's only 19" inside. But it's also over 5 feet tall.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply