Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator Conversion - Frigidair Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default Kegerator Conversion - Frigidair Mini

Well thanks to this form me (a non-DIY'er) was able to accomlish a kegerator conversion. I chronicled the entire process on my Facebook page. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...83&id=23931273

Thanks again to everyone on this form. Also I PM'd a lot of people...you know who you are...Thanks for all the help!!!! This was a team effort.

By the way. If you're thinking of making a kegerator vs buyind I would highly recommend making it. There is something to be said for DIY and it saved me about 250 dollars. Even got Perlicks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Plus the learned hands on you did it yourself as well the saved money for other needed, wanted brewing items. Go for it vs shelling out green that these LHBS want you to buy their complete brewing systems and items. They are in the business to make money off those that fear tackling any projects, congrats enjoy your erned rewards. Now step into deeper projects without fears this fourm will head you in the correct direction of forward progress with many more self rewards.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
thedude00
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

looks good bro

Old 05-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
zGrubermeister
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dave, would you mind posting what kind of fridge you used? It looks like you have room for two 5gal kegs in there, am I right?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Crave
Recipes 

Look like one of these:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frig...version-89013/

Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

A it's the 4.4 frigidaire mini from Lowes. Retails for 179 but I got 10 percent off you can get the coupon in change of address packets from the post office. It will hold 2 5g kegs plus my 5# co2 tank on the back hump.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
excaptn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just built mine a few weeks ago, extremely easy. Only stressful part is pulling off the lid. I highly recommend using a sheet of wood under the cover to support the tower, as soon as I finished I took it apart to add some structure.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crave View Post
Dang it I saw one in a yard sale weeks ago for $50 not thinking I could fit two Corny's in it so passed on it. No one tape measure handy. I carry one now.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
excaptn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never tested to make sure the fridge worked before converting it into a kegerator. (Never will make that mistake again)
Now that I was about ready to keg my first batch I pluged it in.... nothing. The light turns on, but it is not cooling left it for about an hour to see if I just couldn't hear it. I didn't hear anything when I was drillling so I don't think I hit any of the freon lines and I was pretty carefull to stay away from them. Will the compressor turn on even w/o freon. Will i hear a "click" when adjust the the thermostate. And ideas on how to trouble shoot what might be wrong?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I worked around larger units of 40 to 60 HP compressors for Safeway's deep freeze as well their cold sections. Not counting the FAA with 400 HP compressor units. They all had low gas pressure sensors a first place to look for trouble shooting if it was a low gas shutdown then to the electrial feed and control problem plus defrost delay timers. These small home fridge units do not have low gas pressure sensors like your basic automotive AC units which have a low pressure shutdown of the clutch. Sorry to hear about your getting skunked on a unit. There will be many more available on the cheap, good hunting.

Quick Reply