The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator Conversion with Danby DAR440BL?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #121
pvburton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiDon View Post
Cheers!

Does your model have supports for the shelves that plug into brackets along the back or does it use molded supports on the sides of the fridge? I bought the one from Costco and it has the molded supports which I had to cut out in order to fit two corny kegs.

I posted some pics here: Danby DAR044

I haven't picked out my tower yet so I'm just using picnic taps for now.

Don
Don I have the same one you got. I looked at the pics and got spooked for a min b/c my door cut outs are almost identical to yours! I got a twin tap tower custom homebrew kit from beveragefactory.com, seems to be the way a lot of folks are going with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerdudeaz View Post
I used a 1/4" drill bit, they fit though without an issue. I didn't bother with a support on the inside, it holds just fine.
Thx for the info -- will go all the way up to 1/4" hole tomorrow and complete the project (fixing leaky MLT has taken project time priority the last few weeks)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #122
ObiDon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvburton
... I got a twin tap tower custom homebrew kit from beveragefactory.com, seems to be the way a lot of folks are going with this.

Thx for the info -- will go all the way up to 1/4" hole tomorrow and complete the project (fixing leaky MLT has taken project time priority the last few weeks)
Be sure and post some pictures!

Don

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #123
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Do you have to disable the freezer in this model? or is it just a fridge?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #124
RSNovi
Recipes 

Just a fridge.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #125
joshb
Recipes 

I completed my conversion today. I also received one of the newer ones with a door that had glued on foam in shape of the shelving which was covered in plastic. I was able to rip all of that out and get the foam flat enough to mount the dry erase board. I used the original seal and gorilla glued in around the edges since it was no longer tight. The door now seals perfect. The ones with the screws would be SO much easier though. I probably spent 5 hours on the door alone. The tower mounting was a breeze!

kegerator.jpg  

Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #126
wsender
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for everyone who's contributed to this thread. I think I'm leaning towards this fridge for my build.

Has anyone had any experience putting a copper pipe up tower to cool the lines on the this fridge? I've seen it done on the Frigidare build but haven't seen it here. I'd really like to try to avoid having a fan in there to blow air up the tower.

Also, from what I've gathered the thermostat is mounted in the ceiling by the light. Has anyone tried hooking up an external thermostat to this? I wouldn't mind trying to get a little more temperature control with something other than is installed.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #127
CHans3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm finishing building one of these this week. Did all of the door work over Thanksgiving by cutting out the door panels and mounting a piece of plexiglass over it. I still need to paint on a primer and then chalkboard paint. By maintaining the original gasket on the door, all of the caulk work is hidden, so the final product will look super clean.

Going to use the copper tubing / spray foam method for cooling the tower. I'll bolt it all on probably on Christmas. Will post pictures when finished!

Old 12-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #128
wsender
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHans3 View Post
I'm finishing building one of these this week. Did all of the door work over Thanksgiving by cutting out the door panels and mounting a piece of plexiglass over it. I still need to paint on a primer and then chalkboard paint. By maintaining the original gasket on the door, all of the caulk work is hidden, so the final product will look super clean.

Going to use the copper tubing / spray foam method for cooling the tower. I'll bolt it all on probably on Christmas. Will post pictures when finished!
Awesome, I can't wait to see what it looks like all done. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #129
pvburton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsender View Post
Also, from what I've gathered the thermostat is mounted in the ceiling by the light. Has anyone tried hooking up an external thermostat to this? I wouldn't mind trying to get a little more temperature control with something other than is installed.
I wasn't going to, but my test run iced up the lines w/ the stock thermo set to 3/4 power.

Instead of futzing with it to dial it in (and risk further icing of my brand new equipment) I just hooked up my Dwyer TSS2 unit to it.

The temps dived way past my set point w/ the stock thermo on 100% in this configuration, so I ended up dialing it back to 1/2 power, which dives only about .7 degree F. I'm happy with this, since in the summer it may not make it as far down.

Got a 10-minute duty cycle programmed in... might set that higher in the summer as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #130
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2080
I put tape over the switch for the light. I'll never need that light on, so would rather have it off. But I can always remove tape if I want it.

All other parts of the build was followed through the original instructions for this model.

Those instructions, beside the door, are still spot on. Drilled the top hole 5.5" from rear, 10" from left.

I got the fridge for $170 - free shipping with Amazon Prime, so got it 2 days after i ordered. Too bad Keg Cowboy is 2 weeks behind my fridge order. Still haven't had a frosty beverage out of it yet.
When you say you drilled the top hole 5.5" from the rear and 10" from the left, is that with or without the top plastic piece? Also, is that for center of the hole ?

Quick Reply